Chapter XXXV

Thranduil's pov

After Serion died I called together the guard's highest ranked warriors. I had to decide who would take his place, and I also had to discuss the information I have received concerning the orc's invasion.

All of the elves that fought them noticed the glowing, which confirmed my suspicions that a wizard was helping out the orcs. It didn't help my uneasiness, but now at least I know.

I was sitting in my room before the meeting starts. I had too many thoughts racing around in my head to think straight. Thoughts about Legolas's journey, thoughts about this war, and thoughts about Legolas needing to return to Rivendell once he returns.

I stand up and walk over to the mirror. My hair was slightly tangled on my crown, and it takes me a few minutes to fix it. I sigh as I look at a picture that was placed on the bedroom wall. There was Aryna and Legolas, holding hands while walking through the forest. It was painted when Legolas was young, and it was many years before the war in Gundabad.

"Give me strength, Aryna. I will need it." I say. I turn and exit my room, heading towards the place of the meeting.

I reach there and all the elves bowed respectfully. I come in and sit at my designated seat. The rest take their seats also.

"As all of you have likely heard, Serion gave his life to protect Mirkwood today. We grieve at his loss, and I hope we can all find strength to make his sacrifice worth while." I sigh. "Serion was a great leader, and it has been hard for me to decide a new leader. I have chosen Chandra to take the place as leader of the guard. That being said she is not able to help us for another few days. We will need a temporary leader, and I have given that role to Maithili."

The elves turn to look at the elf, and she nods to them in response. "I will be happy to help to the best of my abilities."

I look around. "My intel from this new fight is frightening. The seems to be a wizard working with the orcs, and many elves confirmed it, including Serion." Most of the elves in the room gave each other uneasy looks. "I think our first priority is discovering how to deal with the wizard."

"Isn't the best way to combat it is with another wizard?" Maithili asks.

I nod. "Normally yes but we don't have any wizards available for a few weeks. Our best bet will be to find their base and ambush them. The only problem is we don't know the location of the base, nor do we have tons of guards to both protect Mirkwood and go to the base. We will have to address those two issues before advancing."

The elves start talking to each other. I wait for them to silence themselves before I continue. "If you have any information at this time, talk to Maithili or I about it. Meeting dismissed."

The elves stood bowing before parting off into groups. Maithili stayed behind, waiting for all of the elves to leave first. When it was us alone in the room she bows to me.

"Lord Thranduil, may I ask why you chose me to be the substitute leader?"

"You are a skilled warrior with knowledge of magic." Maithili was specialized in arcana, and she was the best bet in knowing any info concerning wizards. She even took a trip to Rivendell for a few years to study with elves there. "I trust that you will know what spells will be used against us. Plus it is only until Chandra returns."

Maithili looks slightly relieved. "I am only concerned by my inexperience, but I know you have better judgement in the matter than me."

I nod. "There will be others to help, and I will be aiding in this as much as possible. I need these orcs gone from Mirkwood, and I can no longer handle sitting by."

Maithili smiles. "Understood. I will collect information about this battle and give you a good list of spells I think was used in this recent battle. It will be likely that the wizard will use them again."

"Agreed."

She bows, heading out the door. She closes it behind her, leaving me alone with my thoughts. I had a sickening feeling inside me, and I couldn't tell what the cause was. It was likely the unsettling thought of a wizard being involved, it could also be Serion's death and the chaos of finding new leadership.

However part of me didn't think it was either of those. It annoyed me for a few minutes before I conclude what was uneasy to me.

Something was wrong with the group heading to Gundabad.

The messenger had told me that they were almost there, but something told me that I didn't feel peace with the news.

'Legolas is losing his mind about not being able to fight...'

I knew right then that Legolas had fought, and was either dead or dying.