Chapter VIII

Tauriel's pov

It has been a month since I have joined the guard. I had been training hard, which honestly wasn't much harder than I thought it would be. I did find it a little boring, however, but I later made friends and now talk to them most of the time.

Chandria often went with me, but with her being the captain of the guard she often had meetings to attend. So more than not, I was with someone else.

Today, however, I was alone. I was just heading in when I overheard some elves that said the Rivendell guards got here. I almost rushed to see them, but decided not to for fear of intruding on something important.

In funny coincidence, I reach the castle at the same time guards got there. Many of them were on horseback and wore silver armor. They all had two swords and a quiver of arrows accompanied by a bow.

As I was scanning the group as my eyes spot the elvish leader. His long blond hair was neat, not hidden with a helmet. He wasn't wearing metal armor, but leather. He was talking to another elf, who I recognized as Serion.

I watched them from a distance, for some reason not able to peel my eyes away from the elven leader. I try to simply walk away, but for some reason I wanted to know who these elves were.

The leader and another elf dismounts, handing their horses to the other elves that were there. The other elf takes off his helmet, revealing brown hair. I watch as the two head towards the castle. In a few minutes Serion comes back. They talk as they head into the castle.

At that moment I guessed that they were going to talk with Thranduil. I contemplate my choices, but I already knew which one I was going to choose.

I casually walk towards the castle, making sure to keep my distance from the group. I follow my targets down the series of hallways, until it became very vacant with few elves running through them.

I decide to hide behind columns as they reach the throne hall doors. Serion looks at the two and quietly tells them something. He then walks through the door.

The two elves started to talk. I decide to take chances and sneak closer. I slightly hear what the two elves were saying.

"... I think Elrond knows what he was doing." Says the elf with brown hair.

"But why?" The leader says. "Why would he send me here if he knows I don't wish to be here?"

"I think he knows that you can't hide from your heritage. Think about it, Legolas. You don't want to be at the place you are destined to rule in a few centuries."

I was taken back. I guess this must have been the person Thranduil was talking about earlier. I thought for a little while the two continue to talk.

Legolas hesitates. "I can't stay here. It was too rough here, plus there are memories..."

"Those can't hold you back. Just think about the task we were given. You don't need to rule here, you just need to protect it."

I breathe heavy, and pause. I must've breathed too loud because both elves look in my direction. The one with brown hair heads over to me, which makes me freeze with fright.

'Please don't see me. Please don't see me.' I think to myself.

The main doors open and both elves watch as Serion peeks through the door.

"Prince Legolas, your father is ready to see you."