Chapter XXVII

Legolas's pov

I retreated to my room to prepare for the journey.

At least, that was the excuse I used.

I honestly had to get away from everyone. Cindor, my father, everyone.

I gather a few adventure outfits, stuffing them into a small bag. I also stuff a small book that was my travel journal. I wished I had taken one while I was with the fellowship, so now I carry one with me on all of my adventures.

I close my bag, pausing when I realize I didn't pack a quill and ink. I run over to my dresser and grab them both. I walk back to my bag and stuff them both in. I close my bag again, hoping I didn't forget anything.

I strap my bag on a small hook on the wall. I then grab my bow and quiver. I strap my quiver onto my back, and look at my bow. It was the bow Galadriel gave me before I departed with the fellowship.

I grip it tighter. "I may not be able to fight, but I can't leave my bow here." I then exit my room and head down to the archery range.

Some elves would say it is boring to shoot at still targets for 30 minutes. I would say otherwise.

It was a thrill to shoot arrows at targets. While I liked moving targets more, I still felt energy coursing through my body when I shot arrows at any target.

I kept shooting, pitting all of my anger and frustration in each arrow. All I did was shoot.

I reach back to feel that my quiver was entirely empty. I sigh, letting both arms fall to my sides. All of my tension leaves slowly, almost making me drop my bow.

I didn't see any way to get out of my predicament. I couldn't lock myself away and never return to the adventure-life. This journey will most likely kill me, because I knew I couldn't stand by as my company risks their lives for me. There wasn't any options other than the two, and both of them seemed impossible.

I have debated these thoughts a lot the past few days, reminding me that the path I am forced to take will be deadly.

I felt lost. I felt... hopeless.

I turn around and head back to the castle. There was no point in me dwelling on it furthermore. As I continue to my destination, I noticed the sound of footsteps behind me. I turn sharply, catching my follower unexpectedly.

"Tauriel?"

She bows her head slightly. "Pardon me, I was hoping to ask you something."

I cock my head. "You know you don't have to be formal."

She nods. "I know, but it is still a habit of mine, I mean... I haven't seen you for many years."

I look away from her. I didn't say anything, and felt the silence pressing on me. I wanted to say something, but I didn't know what to say.

Luckily Tauriel speaks up. "Are you bothered by my presence in the travel party?"

I shake my head. "That isn't my issue. I just can't see myself being passive in a battle."

Tauriel nods again. "I would have similar concerns."

I look back at her, and notice her face blushing. It made her look more beautiful, her green eyes shining brighter in the sunlight. Her red hair also shimmered more in the light, and it reminded me of the times she would get her hair stuck on a tree branch when we were kids.

However, I knew she couldn't love me, especially after she remembers about the battle of the five armies.

I look down at the ground. "I must get going."

Tauriel shifts her weight. "Of course, I need to prepare also." She turns around to walk away. She suddenly pauses. "I will see you tomorrow." She walks away, her posture seeming to fall as she leaves.

Good job Legolas, you just made her sad.

I turn and go to the castle. This time I was able to reach my room without other disturbances. I enter and just plop down on my bed. I lay my bow beside me, letting it rest from the strain of the shooting practice. My hair fans out as I rest my head on the bed, and I let my eyelids close.