Chapter XXXI

Legolas's pov

The next few days dragged on with an occasional fight. It killed me to not help my companions.

We sent out Halanorn to update my father about our journey. I decided that since he was injured and probably needed better care, we would send him first. The next couple days were treks through desert and dry plains. Most of us have traveled before, so none of us really complained.

I missed traveling. The last time I traveled like this was with the fellowship. Small group heading towards one goal. It was my kind of adventure.

"Let's rest here." Cindor announces. The whole group stopped and rested. I lead my horse over to the others and tie him to a half-dead tree. I walk over to Cindor, who was sitting next to Chandra and Tauriel. I sat down, not talking too much. I was always the quiet one in the group.

"How far out are we?" Chandra asks.

"I am guessing another day." Cindor answers.

"We are almost there?" Tauriel asks excitedly.

Cindor nods. "Yep, Gundabad should be right over that mountain." He points and Tauriel looks at it. There was a mountain decorated with dead trees and dark rocks. It gave me the chills, knowing that place was one of the supposed "cursed" places for elves to go. I also knew that was where this whole adventure began.

"When we get back what is our plan?" Chandra asks us.

"We continue to help out with the security of Mirkwood." Cindor replies. "No difference from before."

Chandra almost seemed disappointed by his response. Tauriel shifts back and forth.

"I wonder if there are travel groups that Thranduil sends out regularly." Tauriel asks, mostly to herself.

"I believe there may be merchants or trades folks who travel regularly." Chandra says. "I think it would be boring. I like adventures, like the one we are on now."

"Adventures are much better than sitting on the edge of the city walls." Tauriel agrees.

"Weren't you in a huge adventure, Legolas?" Chandra asks me.

I nod, not making it a big deal. "I traveled with a group to Mordor."

"Mordor?" Chandra bursts out. "What would take you there?"

I pause. I didn't know how to simplify the story, there was so much that happened, and I couldn't easily explain that a ring would've ended the world if we didn't destroy it.

"There was something we had to get rid of, and the only place to do it was Mordor."

"What was your group like?" Tauriel asks.

"It was a group with 9 people. It was me, 4 hobbits, 2 men, a dwarf, and Gandalf the wizard." I reply.

"Wow you know Gandalf?" Chandra gapes.

I nod. "He is wise, though half of the trip he wasn't with us. In fact, most of the time we were all separated into groups."

Chandra smiles at me, which made me realize that I had been smiling the whole time.

"I am guessing you succeeded, considering we aren't dead right now."

Cindor laughs, and I smile wider. I then notice that Tauriel was silently crying. She was even shaking, and seemed to be ignoring us.

"Tauriel?" Chandra notices her and rests her hand on her shoulder. Tauriel snaps out of her haze, quickly covering her eyes as she cries harder.

I give a quick glance to Cindor, who looks at me troubled.