Chapter XXXVI

Legolas's pov

I was dead.

I knew it the moment I arrived at the ghostly city. It was familiar, and it didn't take long for me to realize it was the ghostly city of Gundabad.

Many ghosts wander aimlessly, not having a purpose. When I float down to the ground, no one seemed to notice my arrival. I was fine with that though, I wasn't a fan of being spotlighted.

I raise my ghostly hands and see the smokey remnants of them. They were translucent, and glowed a faint blue. It all reminded me of the Army of the Dead that followed us in battle back when I was a part of the fellowship.

"Legolas?" I hear the familiar soft voice. I look up at Aryna, my mother. She gives me a sad look, but walks up to me and hugs me. She was finally able to touch me, and I was able to hug her back. I missed her, and I didn't realize how much I did until now. The young me had remembered her gentle hugs, and I longed for them.

We pull back after a few seconds and I smile sadly to her. "I am sorry, but I died anyway."

She smiles back. "At least we can be together."

We walk side by side towards the town. No one paid attention to us as we join. I just followed her as she wanders through the streets.

"How did it happen?" She asks.

I sigh. "I was cursed, and if I killed it dragged me closer to death."

She nods. "I assumed that was the cause. Who did you kill?"

"Orcs. They attacked my party when we were heading back here." I pause. "They almost killed Tauriel, but I was able to kill them before they could hurt her more."

"Who is Tauriel?"

My expression turns to sorrow. "She was a good friend of mine, and she was also the elf I loved the most."

Aryna grasps my shoulder. "You protected what you cared for, just like I did."

I give her a sad look. "I guess we are more similar than we thought."

She looks away. "There isn't much to do here, it is less entertaining than being alive, but we could visit the center of Gundabad if you like."

I nod to her and she walks towards a fountain. We walk up to it and I notice that the water was stuck in place, like a frozen picture.

"It is odd that time continues to flow but the fountain doesn't." She says. "That has been a question I have pondered ever since I died."

I shake my head. "Time outside of here moves, but we are all stuck in time. We won't age because time is still."

She looks at me proudly. "In all of my years I never thought of that."

I smile back, touching the water. I was surprised when my hand is covered by water. Aryna, seeing my surprise chuckles. I look back smiling.

That's when I hear a voice.

"Legolas."

I turn sharply, unable to find anyone talking. Aryna had stopped smiling, confused by the voice as much as I was. I notice the other ghosts around us also heard the voice and had begun to look around.

"... Even if you don't return I hope you hear this."

I realize at that moment that the voice was Tauriel.

"You made me realize the real purpose of adventures. You helped me realize that there are places in the world waiting to be explored. You have saved me and I have in turn fallen for you. I did some terrible things in the past, and despite that you continue to care."

Aryna looks at me with sweet eyes. I saw tears gathering in them.

"I need you to help me realize more about life. Please Legolas, I love you."

I was in shock at that point. I had assumed that she had only felt love for Kili. Now it seemed like my doubt and pain had flooded away.

She... Loved me...

"You have to go to her." Aryna tells me. "That is a plea from her to you."

I look at her. "Can I return?" I ask.

Aryna nods. "Look at your hands."

I look down and realize that the mist had collected to form more solid hands. They weren't glowing as bright either.

"You can return, and I think you should go back to the girl you care about the most."

I nod as she embraces me, probably for the last time. I hug back, tears starting to form. "I will miss you."

"I love you Legolas." Aryna pulls away. I turn away from her and close my eyes. I picture Tauriel, and her beautiful face when she smiles. I think about her strength and skill in combat. I also think about her face when she cries, and how I would do anything to make her happy.

I was in love with Tauriel.