Chapter IX

Thranduil's pov.

I was very nervous.

I guess that is putting it lightly, but I most certainly didn't know what to comprehend.

Legolas walked in, followed by another elf I guessed was Cindor. Elinor was next to me, which brought me a little peace. Serion introduces them.

"Lord Thranduil, this is the guard leaders. He points Cindor. "This is the second in command, Cindor." He points to Legolas. "This is the leader, Leg..."

"I know my own son." I interrupt.

Serion stumbled. "Of course. My apologies."

I nod. "Can you leave us?"

Serion looked upset, but he didn't say anything. He nodded and turned sharply and walks to the door. He closes as he leaves.

There was silence and Legolas and I make eye contact. I couldn't read him well, but I could tell he was not thrilled.

"We have a total of 250 guards." Legolas said. "It isn't a lot, but we are here to train, not protect the city on our own."

I nod, only slightly paying attention. "I have heard you went on a long adventure."

Legolas pauses. "Yes I did."

"Did you have fun?"

"Um... yeah." Legolas looks uncomfortable.

"How was it?"

Legolas looks annoyed. "The orcs are at your door and you want to talk to me about my journey! I am not here for friendly introductions. Can you please just give us an assignment?"

The room stands still. I wasn't expecting him to grow cold towards me in a split second. My anger was rising, but I figured that it would be best to keep my anger to myself.

"Alright. I have the guard on different schedules to start training. I heard you were going to train and Cindor was over the strategies. Did I hear correct?"

"Yes." Cindor answers. "However I believe it would be best if Legolas and I were to start tomorrow. I think we need rest before we begin spending time working on it."

I nod. "Of course. I will call in a maid and they will lead you to your rooms."

Both of the elves nod. "Thank you, Lord Thranduil." Cindor says.

I nod again, looking at Legolas. We met eyes and I could tell something was bothering him.

"Legolas. Is something wrong?" I ask.

Legolas closes his eyes. "No, I just agree with Cindor. Not only do we need rest, our guard will need it as well."

I wasn't convinced, but I decide to let it go. Serion came in and led them to the door. When they had left I yelled at Serion.

"Close the door behind you!"

"Ok, lord Thranduil!" Serion yells back. They closed the door as Elinor approaches me.

"Lord Thranduil, I didn't remember your son being so... odd."

I nod. "I don't either."