Chapter XIII

Tauriel's pov

Morning never came sweeter.

After the events of last night I decided to leave in fear of watching what next took place. I went to my room and collapsed on my bed. I was out cold until morning.

I got up after a few minutes of shielding my eyes from the light coming though my window. I quickly showered and changed, the grabbed my bow and headed down to get breakfast.

I enter the dining hall and found Chandria. She was talking to the elf that accompanied Legolas here. I approach after a few seconds of debate.

"... I can't imagine being in a city other than this one." Chandria says, pausing when seeing me approach them.

"Hi Chandria." I say trying not to show nervousness in my voice.

"Hi Tauriel. This is Cindor, he is from the Rivendell guard."

Cindor nods to me as we shake hands. "Pleasure to meet you." He says respectfully.

"And you likewise." I reply, my fear slightly fading.

"So you are also part of the guard?"

"Yes. It is my pleasure to serve Mirkwood."

Cindor nods in approval. "I think you should be helping us train the new recruits. You have such enthusiasm to serve this city."

I almost said yes until Thranduil's voice rang through my head.

"You are not to associate with him at all."

I look down. "I have duties elsewhere." Chandria and Cindor look at me in shock. "Excuse me." I walk away. I head out of the hall and decided to go back to my room until my shift starts.

I felt as if I were waiting for days. I was pleased to see the sun had risen to the point when I would start my shift. I had been cleaning my arrows and placing new ones in my quiver. When I noticed the time I grabbed my stuff and walk out of my room.

I head towards the wall, at the position I was assigned to. There was an elf standing there. He looked restless, yet somehow looked bored at the same time.

I approach him. "Is it bad?"

"Not yet." He says, looking at me. "I hope it doesn't become crazy."

"I agree." I look out at the rows upon rows of trees. I smile back at the elf. "I would escape before anything bad happens."

He nods, rushing away. I didn't blame him for wanting to leave so fast. I am often the same.

I sit down at the edge of the tower, feet dangling off the edge. I watch the leaves on the trees as they shake with the breeze. It seemed so peaceful, yet it was only because orcs haven't come yet.

I seemed to be in a trance, thinking about Legolas. I obviously like him, but I wasn't allowed to go near him.

I hear something coming from the bushes not far from the wall. I pull out my bow and knock an arrow at the bush. It continues to rustle, but suddenly stopped. I hold my aim at the bush for a few minutes before I determined that there was no immediate threat.

I put my bow away, and almost sit down before I hear elves talking in the distance. I turn and see a small group of elves heading through the entrance of the wall. I lean over more to see if I knew any of them.

After they came out, they started walking my direction keeping to the wall. As they got closer I noticed that one of them was Serion, and next to him was Legolas.

I quickly duck under the cover of the walls edge. My heart was racing and my nerves were exploding.

I need to get out of here... I need to get out of here...

But I couldn't abandon my post. So my only choice was to stay there. I peek over the edge, and I had realized they weren't looking up at me, but examining the forest line.

"If we expand the wall, maybe we can fit more guards around the parameter." Serion suggested.

"Yes but it could take weeks, even months." Legolas replies. "It is better to set up huts in the forest where elves can hide and guard the parameter."

"Wouldn't that take weeks to complete too?"

"Maybe a week at most." Legolas points at a specific tree. It was bent to form a perfect platform. "We need trees like this, just put in a flooring and we have a hut. It isn't meant to be pure shelter, but to be a specific watch point."

Serion nods. "That makes clear sense, but where would we place the new troops?"

"We put the experienced guards on these watch points, and have the new ones at the wall." Legolas turns towards the wall, I panic, ducking behind the wall again. I hear the confused voice of Legolas.

"Isn't there supposing to be a guard at this point?" He asks Serion. Serion looks and surprised, quickly replies.

"We had a troop here earlier, but she..." He stops as I hear a noise too common to this forest.

Orcs, and a lot of them.