Chapter 5: Over My Head

Start from the beginning

      “Is her daughter, Molly. She’s a huge fan of yours actually,” Aunt Kara informed me. “Liam is your age while Molly is two years younger.”

      I took in all this information. Molly and I will probably get along because she’s a fan of mine. But I hope she doesn’t get disappointed when she meets me. And Liam, I have no idea how we will get along. I hope we do because it will make my stay better but people have a right to hate me. I just hope that wasn’t the case.

      --------------------------------------------

      Once the plane landed we had to take a private helicopter the rest of the way. When we were seated inside I leaned my head against the window. Realization hit that I was going into the unknown. There were no big cities which I’m use to. Instead there are fields and fields of growth. The roads weren’t crowded at all unlike the city where there’s traffic on every street. The sky is clearer here than in the city also. There’s no population, therefore the sky is much easier to make out. I wonder if I will see the stars tonight.

      This place is far from what I’m use to. There are no big shopping malls or stores in general. The closet you get to a decent sized town could take me twenty minutes. Maybe this wasn’t a good idea. Maybe I should’ve just gone to the Bahamas where everyone already thinks I’m at. At least in the Bahamas I could do multiple things but in the country…what is there to do? When I think of the country I think of the movie Sweet Home Alabama. I love that movie; Josh Lucas is one hot piece of man candy. But all they do in the movie is go to bars, have a huge town party, reenactments, and things like that. But the difference is the town I’m going to is even smaller. I think only a few hundred people live there.

      The ride was shorter than I would’ve thought. We landed in an open field…just like that! The grass below bellowed in the wind as we landed. Once we landed I was the first one out. The sun beat down on my skin and blinded me at the same time. I pulled my sunglasses off my head to shield my eyes. It was much quieter out here, not counting the sound of the helicopter.

      A young woman with blond hair was approaching us. She has a huge smile on her face when she reached me. “Hi, I’m Molly Underwood. I’m here to pick you up.”

      She extended her hand and I shook it, “Hi, I’m Layla Beckman. It’s nice to meet you.”

      “Holy crap!” Kayla yelled when she lost her footing and almost landed on her butt.

      I smiled and motioned to Kayla, “That’s my best friend Kayla. She’s…different.”

      Molly laughed and nodded her head, “I know.”

      But she doesn’t really know. It’s not like Molly has hung out with Kayla. All Molly knows is what she read or watched. I’m not going to say that though. Instead I nodded and looked back at Kayla and my aunt. “Can you help us with our bags?” I asked Molly.

      Without hesitation she nodded and walked over with me. Kayla and Aunt Kara were able to carry their own bag considering their only staying for a day. But I had to have help. I carried, more like rolled, two of my bags while Molly took two and Kayla took my last bag. I feel like a diva with all these bags but I don’t know how long I’ll be here. It’s not my fault I want to be safe and pack everything I thought I would need.

      Once we packed the bags we all piled into Molly’s car. I was impressed. It was an old fashioned 1970s Monte Carlo. Don’t ask me how I know—I just do I guess. I got into the passenger seat while Kayla and Aunt Kara sat in the back.

      “This is a nice car,” I say trying to participate in a little small talk.

      “Thanks, but it’s not mine unfortunately. This is my brother’s car. He saved all his money in able to buy this. When I told him I was taking it he gave me this whole speech about how if I dent it or something he’ll kill me,” Molly responded.

      I nodded. I was impressed. “So what are you into?”

      Molly shrugged, “Normal things I guess. I like horseback riding, swimming although we don’t have a pool.”

      “Then how do you find time to swim?” I interrupted.

      “Well the school has a pool but the people, as in the teenagers, usually go to the lake.”

      “You have a lake?” I asked because for a small town I didn’t suspect them to have a lake.

      “Well it’s not that big but it works,” Molly shrugs.

      The rest of the car ride was pretty silent. It was awkward to say the least. When we arrived to a house I was dumbfounded. It was two storied and a decent sized house. It was painted white and there was a barn a few yards away. A few horses were grazing out in the land that was surrounded by a fence. When we pulled up an elderly woman with a huge smile on her face came walked to the car. That must be the grandmother, Lois. She sure is hyper for a ninety year old.

      “Oh my goodness, you must be Layla!” Lois exclaimed and she immediately engulfed me in her arms.

      I hesitantly wrapped my arms around her. She was shorter than me but I didn’t care. “Yes, and you must be Lois.”

      “Call me Grandma Underwood or Lois. It doesn’t matter.” Then she turned her attention to Aunt Kara, “Kara? You sure have grown up!”

      Aunt Kara hugged her, “It’s been…twenty five years.”

      Wow, I didn’t know it was that long. If Pam was my mom’s best friend than why didn’t she contact her? Maybe she did before she died. Once Lois greeted everyone she brought us inside. Molly showed us our rooms and we set our luggage in them.

      When we were sitting in the living room drinking iced tea I asked, “Where is Pam?”

      She and Liam haven’t made an appearance yet. I was becoming anxious to see him. Molly said, “They’ll be here any minute.”

      On cue the front door opened. My stomach flipped and I felt like I was going to throw up. I closed my eyes to control my breathing. Kayla grabbed my hand, “Are you okay?”

      I turned to look at her. I nodded, “Yeah, just nervous.”

      Kayla smirked, “Why? Nervous to see that…,” she trailed off and looked behind me, “T-That hot man standing right behind you.”