Hawkfrost x Blind!Reader ~ Anniversary

So so so so so late for Le48209. Spoilers ahead! 

It had been ten moons since you fell in love with your best friend. Two since his death.

You remembered it all the same: the smell of his fur as you nestled into the crook of his neck, the soft rasping of his whispers in your ear, the calming feeling of his tongue stroking your fur. It was as if it had been yesterday. Yet you had no memories of the colour of his eyes, the way he looked at you, or the colours of the flowers he often brought you. You had never seen those things. 

But that never bothered Hawkfrost. He saw you no differently despite your blindness, which was more than you could say for the rest of your clanmates. Many thought you were useless, a burden, a dead weight. Sometimes you agreed.

Without him, your life had lost it's flavour. Sunrise upon sunrise, you sat in the elders's den. There were others, but you were alone. No one believed in you. No one saw you as an equal. No one brought your favourite flowers to brighten your day and fill your senses: just because they thought of you. 

Ordinarily, you'd be moping and yearning for a normal life of hunting, running, swimming. Now there was a bigger piece of you missing. Life without the cat you loved so dearly had even made the longing for sight fade to the back of your mind.

Wallowing in your grief amidst the silence of the calm night became too much to bear after a while--as it always did--so you carefully made your way out of camp. Your paws led you along a familiar, well-worn trail: one you did not need to see to remember. It lead to the lake, where Hawkfrost now rested. Your paws had dragged you there so many times that it was becoming second nature. 

The scent of recently churned loam still lingered in the humidity as you breathed in the night air. You reached out, patting the ground a couple of times before finding what you were feeling for with a soft crunch: the withered petals of flowers you had laid there a moon ago. 

And though your eyes couldn't see, they could still cry. 

The moon rose steadily higher, marking the anniversary of Hawkfrost's passing at moon-high. Laying on the cold soil beside the sad, dried flowers, you found yourself drifting to sleep. It consumed your senses like a rolling fog, and before you knew it, you were dreaming. 

A dark clearing in the forest loomed before you, and at its centre stood a cat you could recognise by presence alone. But something was different. Not about him, but about you. You could see him.

"Hey, you," Hawkfrost whispered at last, his voice still the same rich, playful sound you remembered. "I've missed you."

Words weren't nearly enough to express everything you felt in that moment. You took one step, then your paws took over, and you bounded to his side. You crashed into him so that you both stumbled, but you didn't care. You felt his fur, his breaths, his gentle touch once more.

"I missed you," you whispered, breathless with surprise and elation, "so, so much..." 

"I have never stopped missing you, my flower," he purred, his amusement masked by the tightness in his throat--the slight break in his voice. You had never heard him so close to tears. "I'm so sorry..."

The gloomy forest surrounding you, the visual input overwhelming your virgin eyes, that nagging thought in the back of your mind that this was only temporary: none of that mattered. You felt at peace for a brief moment. You felt at home. 

You let your eyes flutter shut. You let the familiar scents, sounds, and tender touches swallow you. You let the pain go for as long as his embrace allowed. The two of you laid there, in the dim moonlight, dreading the moment the morning would sweep you away.