Stonefur x Reader ~ I'll Wait For You

A special request for Anon! Spoilers ahead! 

Flickering shadows ran the walls of the damp, cold, stone cavern as cats passed the dimly lit entrance. Moisture hung in the air that smelt of illness and rotting carcasses of fresh-kill. Every drop of water that fell from the stone above hit the stone below with repetitious echoes that rang in your ears.

You lay on the bone-chilling stone, your ribs and hips protruding against it. As a cool, brittle breeze whipped through the entrance and swirled about the cave walls, a shiver ran down your spine.

"Keep moving," a rough voice growled just beyond the cave's opening. Even in your weakened state, you were on your paws in a heartbeat, your eyes hopeful.

Head first through the lichen, Stonefur stumbled into the cave and sank unceremoniously onto his elbows and knees. You rushed to his side, gently propping him up with your shoulder. It couldn't have been comfortable, the hunger making your frame that much bonier, but Stonefur didn't complain. He never did. 

Once he was settled further from the entrance, you breathed a sigh of relief and laid beside him. You wrapped your tail around his haunches and laid your head atop his shoulder in an attempt to share what little body heat you had.

"I was only gone for a little while," Stonefur chuckled hoarsely, amused by your affection but certainly not against it.

"But I'll never know which time I see you is the last," you meowed softly. The thought should make you afraid or fill your eyes with tears, but it just weighed heavily in your chest. You knew it was coming sooner or later. You just prayed the day never came.

"I'm not going anywhere," Stonefur promised, nuzzling into you. His assurances were sweet, but unconvincing. 

He must have been exhausted, falling asleep beside you soon after. His steady breathing was a comfort, a luxury really, and it was the only thing that could lull you to sleep as well. Still, it wasn't a peaceful sleep: jolting awake at the slightest sound, waking up from nightmares, periodically checking that he was still there even if you could feel him curled up around you.

You awoke with a start to the clamour of voices echoing through the cave and claws scrabbling against the stone. Your fur stood on end as you staggered defensively to your paws, Stonefur wearily rising next to you. The only comfort was your tail laid across his shoulders, letting you know he was still behind you.

Jaggedtooth had returned, you assumed to fetch Stonefur again, but he stalked over to the apprentices instead. To your surprise, Blackfoot and Darkstripe followed close behind.

"Get up!" Jaggedtooth ordered, roughly nudging Stormpaw to his paws. Featherpaw was awake but groggy, struggling to her paws as well. Stonefur instinctively stepped to protect the apprentices, but you pressed into his side to hold him back. 

"You too," Blackfoot meowed, he and Darkstripe now either side of you and Stonefur, which certainly put you on edge if you weren't already.

The three TigerClan cats led you out of the cave and through the reeds. Once corralled to the clearing, your eyes started to adjust to the blinding sunlight. Tigerstar loomed above on the Bonehill, menacing as ever.

"It has been decided," Tigerstar announced before directing his attention to Stonefur, causing you to bristle. "Stonefur, I will give you one chance to show your loyalty to TigerClan."

A chill ran down your spine. This was bad. You glanced at Stonefur, but couldn't catch his eye nor were you close enough to touch him anymore; he simply glared up at Tigerstar with his head held high.