Scourge x Fem!Reader ~ Misgivings

Request for Anon. Spoilers ahead! 

The makeshift camp was alive with battle preparations, the Warriors all chatting away. The kits were playing animatedly at your paws, doing dramatic battle reenactments for your benefit. But your attention was elsewhere; across the clearing, their leader was engaging in neither productive nor enthusiastic conversation. He simply sat alone, sharpening his reenforced claws in silence.

"Mum, tell her!" one of your kits whined, catching your ear at last. 

"What?" you asked dumbly, shaking your head to clear your mind. "Yeah, yeah, sure. Give me a moment..."

You got to your paws, side-stepping your kits bouncing about with excitement but still keeping them in sight. Scourge only glanced up as you approached, not inviting you to join but not scaring you off either. Progress is progress, you supposed.

"What are you thinking about?" you asked after several heartbeats of silence passed.

"What do you think?" Scourge asked rhetorically, still not lifting his gaze.

"Well, the romantic answer would be that you were thinking about me," you joked, finally catching his eye in the form of an annoyed glare. It only made you purr softly with laughter. "But I digress."

There was another brief silence, save for the scrape of his claws on the sharpening stone. You gazed across the clearing at your kits, still rambunctious as you left them but now entertaining--or rather pestering--an uncomfortable Bone.

"What are you thinking about?" Scourge asked tentatively, trying to make conversation. You took this as permission to sit beside him now.

"The battle, like you," you admitted, still watching the kits with a dreamy look in your eyes. "But for different reasons."

"Like what?"

"It's dangerous. I worry about you coming back."

Scourge clicked his tongue disapprovingly, giving his head a little shake. "If you're that worried, the offer is still open for you to join us."

This time, he finally lifted his head to face you. His icy gaze met yours, lingering and sending a shiver down your spine, but you couldn't have pulled yourself away if you wanted to. There was a certain longing in his eyes, like this was more of a request than a reminder.

"You know I have to stay with the kits..." you meowed softly with a regretful glance back toward the makeshift nursery. Truthfully, you wanted nothing more than to go with, join the battle, be with him. But things were different now.

Scourge let out a huff of mirthless laughter, returning his focus to his claws once again. 

"They'd be as good as dead if they weren't mine, you know," he meowed grimly. "Kits don't belong in BloodClan."

"I know," you replied quickly. Your saddened gaze still lingered on your kits, who were now being shooed away by Bone as he rallied the Warriors in the clearing. "Just... be careful."

Scourge nodded in acknowledgement, examined his claws, then got to his paws. You laid your tail across his shoulders, but he jerked away from your touch. At least he flashed you a slightly guilty look for it.

"Hey," you purred as he started to pad off, stopping him in his tracks. You waited until he reluctantly met your gaze again. "I love you."

"I... I'll see you when this is finished," he meowed awkwardly in response. He stepped back to your side to give your cheek an almost affectionate lick. "And we'll have a whole new forest to explore together."

You watched his thin tail lashing behind him as he padded off to give the final rallying cry to the Warriors. And as they departed camp, you watched from the nursery with three tiny kits asleep at your side.