Bramblestar x Reader ~ Oops

"You two--the nursery needs to be patched up from behind. And you... lead a hunting patrol-- I mean! No, made a promise..." 

Bramblestar stood on the high ledge, directing the Warriors below. He tripped over his words, trying to distribute the many tasks and juggle previous agreements with grace to little avail. With that last statement, he shot you an apologetic glance. His gaze softened as he found you amidst the small crowd.

"That's alright," you reassured him, nodding and giving a dismissive wave of your tail to the patrol gathering behind you. "I can lead one tomorrow." 

He sighed, looking both relieved and guilty at the same time but blinked his thanks to you nonetheless before raising his voice again as his eyes darted to the far side of the camp.

"You two! I see you! Get back in there and stay in there!" 

You purred softly with laughter as he scolded the apprentices, shaking your head. Gracefully, you leapt up onto the ledge beside Bramblestar, laying your tail across his back as you leant in to whisper in his ear.

"Why don't you take a break?" you suggested, your voice soft and soothing. "You look stressed." 

"I am not--!" he cut himself off before he could completely snap at you. Again, he flashed you a guilty look, his ears falling in regret. "Okay... maybe I am a bit stressed." 

"Come on, I know just the thing to take your mind off your duties." 

You flicked his ear with your tail as you turned to leap down to the ground, earning a flinch from him. Although, he did seem to look like a weight had already been lifted from his shoulders.

"Well, I don't... fine." he gave in as you padded away, unable to argue without following you anyway. Clever, he thought. "Squirrelflight! You're in charge." 

The tip of your tail twitched in amusement as you heard him padding after you, his steps quicker until he reached your side. You bumped into his flank playfully before gesturing for him to follow with a nod of your head.

Both of you climbed out of the hollow and slipped off into the woods in silence save for the lively chatter of birds above and the rustle of the breeze. Just getting away from everything for a moment seemed to let Bramblestar relax, yet he still glanced over his shoulder every so often.

"You know I'm just trying to help, right?" you meowed, snapping his attention away from the camp behind. His gaze shifted to you, then back out ahead as he nodded. "I know you're under a lot of pressure, trying to fill in Firestar's absence and all, but you shouldn't be so hard on yourself." 

"Thanks you," Bramblestar purred after a beat of silence, turning to meet your eyes again. Then he let out a little mrrow of laughter, lightening up. "What would I do without you?" 

"Work yourself to death," you joked without missing a beat, doing your best to feign seriousness before laughing in turn. "I kid you." 

As the laughter died, he seemed to remember how you managed to get him on his own in the first place. "So... where are you taking me?" 

"You'll see." 

The two of you padded on in silence, flanks brushing ever so slightly as the cool wind swirled around you in the darkening forest cover. The sun slowly dipped low toward the horizon, casting leafy shadows on the tree trunks. You approached the lakeside at last, stepping out of the woods and onto the open beach.

The sunset sent streaks of gold across the twinkling surface of the lake and bathed the sky in vibrant colours. The two of you basked in the dying light, warm on the fur of your faces.

"Wow..." Bramblestar mumbled in awe, his amber eyes practically glowing in the sun. "I almost forgot how beautiful the sunsets are here." 

"Sometimes you just need a little reminder," you purred, slowly sitting down on the pebbled bank. He followed suit after debating how close was acceptable, which made you stifle a purr of laughter. Without shame, you entwined your tail with his without a word. He flinched despite your gentle touch and felt his pelt heating up wildly, unable to make eye contact. 

"Thank you," he murmured again, doing his best to relax into your side while so flustered. "This has all been... a lot easier with you by my side. You really have no idea how much I needed this. You have no idea how much I love you..." 

It wasn't at all surprising a revelation, but your eyes widened at the words nonetheless. You turned to look at him in surprise, but he was already staring back, looking just as shocked by his own words. The sight made you break out into laughter.

"Did... did I say that bit out loud?" he asked, laughing along awkwardly and shuffling his paws slightly, sending pebbles rolling down the bank into the water with a succession of plinks

"Yes, yes you did." 

"Oops..." 

"Don't worry," you purred, laughing under your breath still. You leaned into his side, resting your chin atop his shoulder but only earning a more flustered reaction from him. Yet he didn't pull away. "I love you too."