Frostleaf x Fem!Reader ~ Expectations

OC and request by WritingScourge.

The dim, dusk light filtered through the bright leaves, painting the camp with dapples of colour. The fur on your back ruffled slightly in the cool breeze, but you felt jittery for a completely different reason. You got to your paws in anticipation.

As the final patrol of the day entered camp, your eyes flittered between the cats until they landed on Frostleaf's miss-matched ones. The usual intensity of his gaze brightened somewhat at the sight of you. He trotted over to your side with a dismissive wave of his tail to the patrol behind him.

"Miss me?" he teased as he brushed up against your side.

"Dearly," you purred sarcastically, nestling your face into the soft fur of his neck. "But on a serious note... I need to talk to you."

"Oh no," he meowed, pulling away from you to meet your eyes in pretend shock. "What did I do now?"

"Can you please just be serious?" you asked in a hushed voice. You sighed, glancing down at your feet at they scuffed the dry ground anxiously.

Frostleaf blinked at you in confusion, his head cocked to the side. He was never one for sincerity--unless it involved threatening, then he could be quite direct--answering to anything and everything with sarky comments. He was rarely serious in a positive context, and that's what worried you, honestly. How would he take the news? Would he be angry? Delighted? Apathetic? 

"What is it?" he finally asked, worry darkening his gaze and his tone of voice hardening. 

You swallowed the growing lump in your throat. "Well, I was in the medicine den today and--"

"Are you alright?" he interrupted, that worry turning into fierce protectiveness. "Did something happen? If anyone--"

"No, no, nothing like that," you answered quickly, though still choking on the words you needed to say. You bit your tongue, repeating the sentence in your head until it couldn't echo around in there any longer. "I'm expecting kits..."

Frostleaf's concerned expression melted, and his eyes widened. Was that a good sign? There was tense silence for a heartbeat as he stared at you, his head tilted again in disbelief. Your paws trembled slightly in anticipation, and you looked back down at them once more.

"You are?" he finally meowed, sounding taken aback but thankfully, not upset. If anything, he sounded hopeful. You'd never known him to be an optimist.

You nodded, lifting your gaze in surprise. Sure enough, his eyes were practically glowing as he looked at you, uncharacteristically tender.

"We're going to be parents..." you whispered, sounding as if you'd barely come to terms with it yourself. Honestly, you hadn't fully. 

Frostleaf pressed up against your flank again, flattening your ear as he tucked your head beneath his chin. You leaned into his touch reflexively, closing your eyes happily. His tail entwined with yours gently, and he purred with satisfaction. 

"I can't wait."

The moons dragged on slower as they went; the familiar sight of the nursery and the sound of whining kits became your only company--day and night. And all the while, you felt tired and heavy and sick every morning yet starving. Frostleaf came to visit between his Warrior duties, but you still felt rather lonely. 

That was, until you finally gave birth. What you would give to be alone for a moment now. The lively bundles of fur curled up at your belly were fast asleep but somehow still wriggling about. Frostleaf laid beside you, his chin resting on your shoulder as he stared at the kits in awe.

"Well?" you prompted, noticing his lingering gaze. You turned your head so that you were cheek-to-cheek. "What do you think?"

"They're... perfect," he meowed, leaning into your touch. 

"What should we name them?" 

"Hm..." He paused for a moment, looking deep in thought. Then he opened his eyes again, deciding, "I think you should name them. You did do most of the heavy lifting."

You let out a mrrow of laughter. "More like all of the heavy lifting."

"Oh, come on, I helped," he teased, twining your tails together. You laughed again as he sent you a not-so-subtle wink.

"Whatever..." you muttered, rolling your eyes but nuzzling up to him again anyway. 

He purred with soft, contented laughter. "Yeah, yeah, love you too."