Jayfeather x Reader ~ Lovesickness

Thunder rumbled overhead as the heavy rain sent splatters of mud splashing up your legs. With a groan of disgust, you shook your paws in an attempt to dry them slightly, but the grass was so wet that it didn't make any difference. As thunder shook the sky again, you pushed through the hedge surrounding the hollow and made your way into camp.

Your paws smacked the muddy ground as you padded over to the medicine den as you so often did. You poked your head inside to ensure no other cats were there before stepping in entirely, muddy pawprints in your wake.

Jayfeather's ears twitched at the sound of your pawsteps, and he turned in your direction. His jaws parted to speak, but he recoiled in disgust as you shook your soaked pelt.

"Thanks for bringing the storm with you," he meowed sarcastically, flicking a stray speck of mud from his own paw.

"You're welcome," you meowed sweetly, though Jayfeather didn't seem amused. He simply turned back to whatever work it was that kept him busy in the comfort of the dry den.

"What can I help with?" he asked--though obviously didn't care--with his back still turned.

"Cracked pads... all this rain, you know," you lied. It was smooth, quick off the top of your head, yet not at all convincing. At some point, you'd stopped trying to make up excuses to visit the medicine den.

To your surprise, he let out a soft mrrow of laughter. It was almost inaudible over the drumming of the rain outside, but it sounded genuine rather than his usual mocking tone.

"Now you're just making things up," he meowed, that same amusement still evident in his tone.

"No, no, I'm serious," you insisted sarcastically. You lifted a forepaw up as you padded over to his side, limping dramatically so as to be heard. "I think you better feel for yourself."

Jayfeather rolled his eyes at your antics but decided to humour you. Turning to face you once more, he motioned for you to sit. You obliged happily, still holding out one paw. He sat across from you, doing his best to assess your alleged wounds through touch.

"I don't feel anything," he deadpanned, letting your paw fall to the ground.

"Really? Maybe you should lick it--ow!" You cut yourself off abruptly as he cuffed you around the ear for that suggestion. "Okay, okay, I'll take your word for it."

"You should listen to me more often," he meowed, still sitting across from you rather than returning to his work, you noticed. "You might get in less trouble that way."

"Well, how else am I supposed to find the time to see you?" The joke left your mouth before you could think better of it, and you immediately regretted offering him that ammunition.

"I knew it!" he exclaimed, half-excitedly and half-accusatorially. You hid your face in the crook of your (allegedly) injured paw with a sigh of defeat.

"You caught me," you grumbled, peeking out at him curiously. He was on his paws now, but he didn't betray much emotion. Surely he wasn't angry? If anything, you'd just turn into the cat who cried fox, right?

He took a step closer, and you slowly unveiled your face. You stared in awe; he stared back blankly. His head tilted to the side, as if perplexed. There was silence save for the pattering rain and a long rumble of thunder in the distance.

"You should be out there helping, you know," Jayfeather finally meowed, his voice smooth and clear but hardly above a whisper.

"I know," you whispered in answer after a moment's hesitation--or speechlessness, rather.

The exchange was simple and shouldn't have meant anything more than an admonishment, but it felt heavier than that. It felt like something unspoken had just been bared: the acknowledgement that you were meant to be elsewhere, the admission that you were here by choice. It felt like his unseeing eyes somehow saw right through you.

There was silence again. You nearly jumped out of your fur as thunder crashed nearby. Jayfeather let out a little huff of amusement, his breath tickling your whiskers. He was no more than a mouse-length away, the air between you heavy with tension--or maybe that was just the humidity from the storm.

A heartbeat passed. Then another. Then your heart skipped a beat entirely as he closed the distance between you. You couldn't hear the storm anymore, or maybe it just didn't matter, the chill of the rain forgotten in favour of the warmth of his muzzle gently pressed to yours.

It was the briefest of touches before he took a step back, but it felt like time had frozen. He looked slightly nervous now, and you were glad he couldn't see your dumbstruck face.

"Now get back out there," he meowed softly, gesturing toward the entrance of the den. You dipped your head as he turned and padded back across the den, biting your tongue to get your thoughts together before anything stupid could come out of your mouth.

"I think I need to stay a little longer," you meowed innocently, shuffling your paws in front of you out of giddiness or nerves or both. The sound of his pawsteps went quiet in response.

"And why's that?"

"I think I'm lovesick."