To Caitlyn, with love

I hope you enjoyed Rain. What was I saying? I know you enjoyed it. Anyway, I wanted to share with everyone how I came up with Rain.

I had always wanted to do a book on Autism since well; this is my life. But no story was coming to mind. I didn't know what I wanted to do.

Then I watched a program recommended to me by my two best friends to watch, and then it hit me. I knew what I would do.

I loosely based Rain off my daughter diagnosed with ASD, aka autism spectrum disorder when she was three. She also had a hearing problem, and we didn't realize that her ears plugged with ear wax that she became deaf at one point. She's fine now and can hear us, except sometimes I think she ignores us on purpose, teenagers.

She's a teen and in high school and is a fantastic person, although it wasn't always like that.

From the time I had her, I had people try to tell me everything I needed to do or what I was doing wrong except for a few people. People called me a bad mom, selfish, treated me like I was a lousy person and mother.

I had to deal with teachers, family, and so-called friends who prefer to critique me about my child. Then I had a few that reminded me, I wasn't bad or horrible, and I was doing the best I could for her. They also told me that only I could love her the way I could love her and fight for her, so that's what I did.

I've had to battle people over the years. I had to deal with the comments, looks, and anything else that was negative. I also had to ignore them. I had to remember who was more important, them or my kid. I prefer my kid. She's a lot more fun to be with than most people.

My daughter has been through a lot growing up. She had two severe ear infections that landed her in the hospital. She had a broken leg at five. She had meltdowns, craziness, and unbelievable energy that has left me exhausted beyond belief, all the while maintaining a full-time job and taking care of my family.

Do I regret it? Not one bit.

The thing I have learned about people, while they're busy judging me about my choices, they're overlooking the bigger picture. My daughter is happy and healthy. She's well adjusted, has manners, works hard in school, funny, loving, and genuinely surprising.

I could argue all day with people about this, but why bother? They're too busy talking to hear anything. They prefer to judge me because I'm not hovering over my kid and not "perfect." Newsflash, no one is perfect, and I never claimed to be. I make mistakes, I picked the wrong choices, but it's all about learning, right?

Having autism doesn't define my daughter or us. It's part of her, but not her. Since her diagnosis, I've stepped into her world, and it is truly a beautiful world.

Someone once asked me what it was like to have a child with autism? My answer was simple: what's it like not to have a child without autism? Honestly, this is the life I know.

Here is a piece of advice for everyone. The next time a parent is going through a rough time and trying their best when they feel they want to give up. Ask yourself how you can help them. Don't criticize them or bash them. One, it doesn't help their situation. Two, it makes you look bad in so many ways.

Sometimes we need to talk; then, we get back to it.

Thank you for coming along on this journey as I told Rain's story and my daughter's.

Much thanks and love always,

Johanna Delacruz.

To continue in Collision.