Taking a stand

Antonio

After talking to Morris and Adrian, they agreed with me. We started talking to others, and we worked our way around the school. Rain wasn't at school. Colton and Lia kept her home for the day.

They stayed home to work with her, so she didn't regress and to give Luke and Cole a break.

At lunch, the three of us talked.

"Do you think it will work?" Morris asked.

"Even if others don't follow, I'm still doing it," Adrian said.

"It doesn't matter if others follow or not. This behavior has gone too far. All schools have an anti-bully program in place, but when push comes to shove, they do nothing. They allow it. Well, no more. This bullying ends today. Maybe they will hear us for once," I told them.

They both looked at me and nodded. That was the thing about Morris and Adrian. They didn't give a shit what anyone thought, especially Adrian. To him, right was right and wrong was wrong, plain and simple.

When the sixth hour hit, we all went to our classes, then waited. We looked at the clock, and then after, we all got up, one by one.

"Where are you going?" The teacher asked us.

"We're walking out," I announced as I left the classroom as more and more kids followed. If the school would do nothing, then we would. This stand was for all the kids that get bullied for being different.

I was sick of it, and so were others.

As we all walked out of the school, the principal came out. "This is unacceptable! Get back to class," he demanded.

"Nope, not until things change," I said as most of the school stood with me.

"I will call all of your parents," he yelled.

"Good, call them, then you can explain why several kids have repeatedly attacked someone with a disability. Someone that doesn't deserve this," I told him.

"Rainbow has Autism. That's not a disability," he said ignorantly.

"That's where you're wrong, dumb fuck. The law classifies Autism as a disability. But you would know this, considering Rain's enrolled in special education classes, which gives you a lot of money. Let's ignore the real issue," Adrian shouted.

He looked at us aghast.

"See, it's fine when you take the money and still fail someone that you're supposed to help. Sad if you ask me," Morris added.

"So, explain to us why we should go back into a school that doesn't give a shit how anyone's treated and can't follow their own rules. You let people like Ella, Darcy, Lyle, and others roam free to bully, harass and call names of others, but still do nothing," I said to him. Then I turned to everyone, "Fight for Rainbow! Fight for Rainbow! Fight for Rainbow!"

Everyone followed suit as they all shouted, "Fight for Rainbow." They would listen.

Rain

I played with My Little Ponies and Luke, and Cole came into the house, alerting Dad and Mom.

"Turn on the TV," Luke said as Dad flipped on the switch. On the news was the school, and most students chanted, "Fight for Rainbow."

Then they saw Antonio talking to a reporter.

"What made you do this?" She asked him.

"Because it's not right. The school is ignoring people, and it's time to put an end to it," he answered.

"Who is Rainbow?" The reporter asked him.

"Rainbow is an amazing person who opened my eyes to a beautiful world. One, I want to be a part of her world. She's beautiful, smart, funny, and amazing. And I love her," he replied as he walked away and went back to chanting.

My family sat there and watched the news. The news played the live feed of what was happening at the school.

"Damn. Why would Antonio do that?" Luke asked.

"Because he loves her," Cole said as they looked at me. "It takes people forever to see Rain for the amazing person she is. It took him two months. If that isn't loving someone, then I don't know what is," he said.

Cole might not say much, but he understood everything. That's why people listened when he spoke. He was direct and to the point.

I continued to play with my ponies in my little world, while everything was moving around me. In my world, there wasn't a negativity. There weren't people being mean. In my world, there was wonderment and amazement. It didn't mean I didn't feel things; I did. I just saw things differently than most people.

Antonio

The local news showed up, and so did the cops. By this time, it turned into a full-blown protest. We were sick and tired of them doing nothing, so we took a stand.

Soon our parents arrived along with Colton and Lia. As we chanted, they walked up. Colton walked up to the principal and met with the superintendent.

"See what your children have created," the principal said.

"My children don't cause problems. They were the targets, especially Rain, who did nothing to anyone. You've done nothing, but stand by as you did for years," he told the principal.

"As of today, we relieve you of your duties, George," the superintendent said.

"You can't fire me! I have a contract!" The principal shouted.

"That you're in violation. School is to be a place of learning for everyone, not just certain students. Special privileges shouldn't exist for a few and should be for everyone. I'm appalled with the student's behavior of Rainbow Hardwick and others. I'm dismissing you," the superintendent told him.

He stormed out of there.

She turned to us. "As of now, you have a new principal, Mr. Hardwick." She announced as we all cheered and clapped.

"I'll leave you to it, Colton," she told him.

He looked at us. "It's time for changes. As of today, we will expel any student involved in bullying. All of you should be able to learn in a stress-free environment. This environment isn't it. My wife, Mrs. Hardwick, will also transfer to the high school. Now, we're dismissing school, go home," he announced to us.

We cheered even louder, and he rolled his eyes, then laughed.

As everyone left, the three of us walked over to him.

"You boys are something else," he said to us.

"Maybe changes will help," Adrian said to him.

"Changes always helps. As a teacher and a father, I could not be prouder of you three. I knew it destined all of you for great things," he smiled. We all looked at him and smiled.

Colton was our first-grade teacher and always said to take a stand when something wasn't right. It was one lesson taught by someone special.

That was the class I met Adrian and Morris. When I got pushed around for being shy, they had my back, as I have theirs.

I didn't go home. Instead, I went to see Rain. When I arrived at her house, her brothers thanked me. I told them there was no need to thank me. It's what you do when you love someone.

I went up to her room and saw her door open. She looked at me and said, "Want to play My Little Pony?"

I smiled as I walked in and played My Little Pony with her. I know she probably doesn't know what transpired today, but it didn't matter. Today we took a stand for Rain. Today we took a position for everyone. Today we took a stand.