A new understanding

Antonio

After spending the day with Rainbow, I was seeing her world for what was beautiful. She lived up to her name.

Sure, she had her quirks, but that's what made her unique and more enjoyable. That's when I realize that I'm not to bring her into my world. I'm to step into hers, and that's what I intended to do.

I made sure I was waiting for her in her puzzle room. She walked in and saw me. A smile formed on her face.

"Antonio! You're early!" She exclaimed.

"Yes, and I brought a new puzzle for us," I smiled.

"For us?" She looked at me, surprised.

"I figured it was our thing," I said.

"What puzzle did you bring?" She asked, trying to see, and I had to stop her.

"Okay, first, have a seat and close your eyes," I said, and she did as I asked. Then I placed the box on the table. "Now, open them."

She opened them and screamed, "You bought me My Little Pony puzzle?"

I nodded.

She picked it up and hugged it, "That is awesome! Thank you, Antonio!" She got up out of her seat, came over to me, and hugged me. I didn't expect that, and she pulled away quickly. "Sorry, I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable."

"It surprised me, but can I have another one," I asked her.

"Okay." She gave me another hug, and I hugged her back. I don't know what it was about that hug, but I liked it. Maybe it was the fact it was pure affection, and nothing asked in return. Then I realized that Rain appreciates a simple gesture such as a puzzle.

She let go of me and sat back down. She opened the box and dumped out the puzzle onto the table. We worked at putting them right side up. Then I worked on it until it was time to go to class. We also talked.

The funny part is I ended up burping, and she laughed. Then she turned around and burped. Then we both laughed. It would gross most girls out, but we found humor in it.

At lunchtime, we sat at a table in her quiet room and had lunch together. Adrian and Morris joined us, and we all talked. Rain told them about the horses and their names. They thought it was terrific and told her.

Then we all got into a belching contest. I found out Rain could belch the alphabet. I liked her world more and more.

After my last class, I was getting ready to head to practice when I heard yelling. That was Rain, and then I heard other voices, Ella and Darcy.

I made my way to them, and to my horror, I saw them pinning her down as Ella shoved garbage at her. Anger boiled inside of me, and I ran over, pushing her off of her. "Get the hell away from her, you stupid bitch!"

"She doesn't deserve to be here! She's a freak!" She screeched. That's all it took as I hauled off and smacked her. They looked at me, shocked. I glared at her. "I warned you."

"I'm calling my parents and pressing charges," she barked.

They got out there quickly as I helped Rain. She looked at me. "You'll get into trouble."

"I don't care. Ella deserved it," I said to Rain.

"But if they arrest you, we can't work on our puzzle and can't have lunch together. You're my friend Antonio. Please don't leave me," she said, getting upset.

"Rain, I promise not to leave you," I assured her. I knew I shouldn't have promised her, but I couldn't bear to see her upset. I helped her to the bathroom and checked it before taking her inside. Then I helped her clean up.

"Okay, remove your clothes," I said to her.

"What?" She looked at me, shocked.

"Remove your clothes only to your underwear. Think of it as a swimsuit," I said, thinking fast.

"Okay." She removed her clothes, and I couldn't help but stare. Knock it off, Antonio. This time is not to be thinking unholy things.

I quickly diverted my eyes and helped clean her up. Once she was clean, I removed my shirt. She looked at me.

"What?"

"You have a nice body," she answered as I handed her my shirt.

"Uh, thanks," I said, embarrassed. Rain pulled the shirt over her head, and I picked up her clothes. Then we went to her locker so that she could get her bag and jacket. Then I walked her out to Luke, but only to have cop cars pull up, shit.

They got out as Luke walked towards us. As soon as they reached us, I handed Rain off to him.

"Antonio Grasso, you're under arrest for assault," the cop said as he turned me around and tried to cuff me. I let my temper get the best of me and tried to resist. They ended up putting me on the ground.

"Luke! Why are they mean to Antonio?" Rain yelled.

"I don't know," he said to her as he tried to hold her.

The cop placed a knee in my back as Rain broke free and went after the police. "You're hurting him!"

"Ma'am step back," the officer ordered her.

"No! You're hurting him," she yelled as she pushed him only for him to defend himself and hitting her. She fell back and hit her head.

"Rain!" I yelled as Luke attended to her, and they cuffed me. They dragged me off the ground and to the cop car.

Luke pulled out his phone and made a call while they took me away. I knew who was behind all this. I seethed. I didn't care about me; I was more worried about Rain.

Ella will have freaking pay for this.

As I sat in a jail cell waiting for my parents to show up, all I could think was how unfair it is? A few minutes later, my parents arrived. The officer opened the cell. "Antonio Grasso, we're releasing you to your parent's custody. Consider this a warning. We don't want to see you back here."

I walked out of there and went home with my parents. They didn't say much to me. I knew I disappointed them. I could see it in their faces.

As soon as we got home, I went straight to my room. I laid down on my bed and heard the phone. Then I heard Dad say, "What? No, I understand. I'll tell him."

Now, what?

I heard footsteps, and my door opened. "Do I even want to know?" I asked Dad.

"That was the coach. They suspended you from playing any sports, pending an investigation to the incident at the school," Dad told me.

I sighed.

"I don't even care. I'm more concerned about Rain," I said, sitting up.

Dad looked at me.

"I know you're both disappointed in me, but I couldn't let Ella and Darcy do that do to her. They had her pinned down, and Ella was shoving trash at her while yelling at her. I just wanted to protect her," I said to him sincerely.

"Well, you're wrong in one aspect," he replied to me.

"Okay?" I looked at him, a bit confused.

"You didn't disappoint us, Antonio, we're proud of you. We're not happy you went to jail, but we're not disappointed in you for doing the right thing. Don't worry; we will figure this out," Dad assured me.

"I don't want to not spend time with Rain," I said worriedly to him.

"We'll figure something out," he assured me.

I had a feeling when Mr. Hardwick finds out what happened; he won't let me see Rain anymore. That thought bothered me.