I don't understand sarcasm, and I dislike teasing

Antonio

As I spent more time with Rain, I understood her more. She's a literal person and doesn't have a filter. I think that may need work.

It's not a secret that Morris is gay. I'm surprised she picked up on it quickly. Adrian and I never made a big deal about it because, to us, it didn't matter.

These were things that I was learning more about Rain. Like the time we were joking around at lunch. Sarcasm was the norm with us, and so was teasing. It wasn't for Rain, and she didn't hesitate to point it out.

"Go fly away on your unicorn, dude," Adrian teased Morris.

"Fine, but my unicorn will kick you in the nuts," Morris retorted.

"Wouldn't that hurt?" Rain asked Adrian and Morris.

They stopped and looked at her. "What?" Adrian asked.

"Well, they refer nuts to a man's genitals, right?" Rain asked him.

"Yeah, it's slang," Morris snickered.

"Then wouldn't it hurt since it's the most sensitive part of a man. That's what my brothers tell me," she said to them. I sat there and watched them.

"We were kidding. It's called sarcasm," Morris explained to her.

"I don't understand sarcasm," she said to them.

"People often used it to taunt someone in a humorous aspect," Adrian told her.

"It's teasing someone, but not taken seriously," Morris added.

"Such as calling people names?" She asked them. I looked at them.

"Yeah, but it's all in good fun," Morris replied.

"How is making fun of someone or treating them like they're stupid humorous? Isn't that being mean?" Rain questioned them.

I couldn't help but smile at her way of understanding.

"Well, we aren't mean to each other because we're friends. We're kidding," Adrian said, sheepishly.

"Then Ella and Darcy are my friends because they call me names since they tease. Because, according to you, that's all in good fun?" Rain looked at them questionably.

Damn.

"No, that's being mean and nasty," Morris said.

"Then so is teasing. I don't enjoy teasing. I don't like sarcasm. From your definition, sarcasm is contempt towards someone, and while you find it funny, the other person doesn't. Not everyone understands things and needs extra help, like me. If you are sarcastic with me, then how is that helping me?" Rain questioned Adrian and Morris.

Adrian and Morris's jaws dropped. Rain was right. Contrary to popular belief, sarcasm can hurt someone's feelings with people not realizing it. So can teasing someone.

The guys cooled it with the jokes. If they made jokes, they explained it to Rain, so she understood and never once were sarcastic with her. Some humor she found funny, some she didn't.

I couldn't fault her for how she felt. They were her feelings, and she had a right to them.

After school, I met her at her locker. Ella and Darcy walked by us, and I took a step in front of Rain to shield her. I dared them to come near her and didn't care if the school investigated me. They were two nasty bitches.

Once she finished getting her stuff, I walked her out to Luke. I told her I had to check in with my parents, and I would come over. She smiled and got into the car. They pulled out, and I made my way home.

I walked in, and Mom greeted me, "Smack any girls lately?" She grinned.

I rolled my eyes. "Ella deserved it."

"Antonio, we get it, but hitting girls is not the answer, but sometimes we have to make an exception," she shrugged, then pinched my cheek.

"Mom quit pinching my cheeks!" I yelled.

"They're pinch-able. I used to pinch your other cheeks when you were a baby," Mom replied.

"Mom!" I groaned.

"Oh, lighten up. You had a cute tushie," Mom said to me, ugh.

Dad walked in and said, "Now, what? You didn't get arrested again, did you?"

"What? No, Mom keeps talking about my butt," I groaned.

"I don't know why this surprises you considering you used to run around here buck naked. I swear every chance you got; you used to whip off your diaper. I thought you would be a nudist when you got older," he said.

"I can't listen to this. I'm going over to hang out with Rain," I said as I turned and left. I closed the door behind me.

"So dramatic," Mom told Dad.

"Eh, he'll get over it," he shrugged. "How about dinner?"

She sighed.

Rain

There was a knock at the door, and Luke opened it, and Antonio came inside. He followed Luke into the kitchen. He joined us while we played a game.

This time was fun. Usually, Luke and Cole play a game with me, but now Antonio was playing, too. What game were we playing? It's none other than Candyland. It was my all-time favorite game.

Most people would laugh and say it was a kid's game, but I didn't care. I always loved Candyland. We played other games like Monopoly, Battleship, Mousetrap, and anything else, but ultimately Candyland was my favorite.

People usually play video games, but to me they're boring. Plus, my therapist told my parents that it was suitable for my fine motor skills growing up. Each game helped with my coordination and understanding of things.

When you think about it, board games are essential to development. Candyland taught me colors, Chutes, and Ladders taught me how to count, and Battleship taught me how to think. Monopoly taught me the value of money and what each amount meant. Mousetrap taught me how to use my intelligence.

When you break down all these elements, you develop your brain better. Plus, they're fun.

I lacked social skills, but I was high functioning. I'm able to do everything; anyone else can do. I don't understand some things.

I knew I liked Antonio around me. He was patient, funny, smart, and kind. At first, I didn't understand him, but slowly, I know him. He never got angry with me. He never yelled at me and didn't call me names. Plus, he has sweet hugs.

He stayed for dinner, then hung out with me before leaving to go home.

I got ready for bed, and my parents came to say goodnight to me.

"You seem to do well with Antonio," Dad said to me.

"I like Antonio. He's my friend. He protects me. You know what I like the most about him?"

They looked at me, waiting to see what I said.

"His hugs. They're warm and nice. Firm and gentle. Just like him. I think if more people hugged instead of fighting, they would be happier," I said as I looked at them.

"Rain, I couldn't agree more." Dad smiled as he kissed me. Mom followed suit, and I went to bed.

Sometimes a hug can make everything better.