There's a problem

Rain

After having Lorenzo, it blessed us to have a baby that was happy and not fussy. The only thing is, it didn't prepare us for what the doctor told us when I delivered.

I didn't hear him cry, and neither did Antonio. I got upset, but after much calming, I waited. I'm not patient, so this was a plus. They ran tests, and when they returned him to us, they assured us he was fine. That was a lie, and I knew it.

They released us, and we brought him home. He slept a lot. When he woke, all we got was tiny grunts. This behavior led me to believe he may have autism. Dad told me, I talked, but then everything went backward. It's called backsliding.

This explanation made no sense to me because he didn't make a sound except a grunt.

As he became more alert and awake, I went to pick him up in the morning only to call his name, but he didn't look at me. He probably didn't hear me.

I picked him up, and he looked around. I talked to him, but he didn't look at me.

"Antonio!" I yelled.

A few minutes later, Antonio came into the room. "What's wrong?"

"There's a problem," I said to him.

"What's the problem?" He asked, confused.

"Watch. Lorenzo," I said and nothing. I did it again and nothing.

Antonio walked behind him and clapped his hands, but he never turned his head or started crying. He did it again, and nothing. Lorenzo didn't flinch at all.

I looked at him, and he looked at me. This situation isn't right. Something was wrong.

Antonio

We made an appointment with his pediatrician. We knew something's wrong the day he was born, but told everything was fine. The staff at the hospital said we were first-time parents so that we would worry.

The doctor examined him and then gave him a hearing test. There was no response, no crying, no anything with Enzo. Then she pulled us into her office and sat us down.

"Doctor is everything okay," Rain asked anxiously. I tried to calm her as I placed my hand on her back and rubbed it.

The doctor asked us a few questions, then referred us to a hearing specialist. She said she had concerns. Yeah, well, so do we.

We made an appointment that we had to wait for six months. When we finally got in, Lorenzo was one.

They ran more tests, and once they finished, they delivered the news.

"Lorenzo is deaf," the doctor told us.

"What?" We looked at him, shocked.

"He failed every single test and checking his ears; he was born without eardrums and the tiny hairs that help with vibrations."

"Are you sure because they said he was fine," Rain told him.

"I'm positive. If the hospital told you Lorenzo was fine, then they lied," the doctor assured us.

"We knew something's wrong with Lorenzo because he didn't cry," I said.

"They should have known. Why the hospital said Lorenzo is fine is beyond me?" The doctor said, which didn't sit well with us. Our baby was deaf, and the hospital knew.

I had a feeling life would take a turn for us.

A year went by, and Lorenzo was two. Since his diagnosis, we got help. Rain was working with him on sign language, as was I. He normally developed besides being deaf. We also hired an attorney and sued the hospital. They admitted guilt, and we won.

Life was different. But we're using the changes. With Rain's autism and Lorenzo's deafness, this was the new normal for us. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Today we were celebrating his and Julian's second birthday since they were born around the same time. We invited family and friends. Good thing we have a big house and even better my parents like food since they cooked everything.

I learned the one thing everyone signed language and were even teaching the other kids, so Lorenzo didn't feel different. That was important to us.

I was helping Rain when the boys showed up.

"Okay, go play," Cole told Cade.

"Okay, Daddy," he said as he went to play with Lorenzo and Julian.

"How's my nephew doing?" Cole asked.

"Enzo's doing good, but he gets frustrated. Overall, he's a great kid. All because he has a great mother," I said, looking at Rain, who was signing to him.

"Well, this one won't let me spoil Cade," Cole pointed to Morris.

"Because kids need discipline. I told you that. Do you want him to turn into a little asshole?" He gave Cole a look.

"Hey, that balloon was cool," he replied as Morris rolled his eyes. Yep, they were perfect for each other.

"Antonio, you're all set," Adrian said, handing me a file. "Lorenzo will have all the help he needs when he goes to school. Wade will be his teacher, and Cole will be his special ed teacher."

"Isn't that early? The kid is two," Luke said, walking up.

"It's never too early to prepare. Plus, the school has to be ready for Lorenzo, which means having everything in place to accommodate him," Adrian explained. That was a relief. It's one less worry for Rain and me.

"Picture time," Cole announced as he took a picture of the boys, then individually.

I had a feeling we were in trouble with these three when they got older. Something told me life would get crazy with them.

For now, I'm good with them being little.

Colton walked over and signed to Lorenzo and hugged the other boys. Family to him was everything. He told me once what his life was growing up and how Lia gave him what he always wanted, love, and a family. How Luke, Rain's grandfather, treated him as a son. From there, he passed down that way to his kids and grandkids. Yep, they were his grandkids, even Julian.

Sometimes a family isn't always blood. I know because Morris and Adrian were my brothers. They always have been and always will be.

It truly is a beautiful world.