Collision Course

Lorenzo

The school was getting ready to start in a few weeks, and there was a matter of discussion about going somewhere on vacation. Since senior year starts this year, they wanted to celebrate it.

We were at Grandpa's house, and so was everyone else. As they talked, they used sign language, so I knew what the hell they were saying.

"What's wrong with Disney world?" Cole asked Wade.

"I doubt the kids want to go hang out at the magical kingdom," Wade retorted with a look.

"You used to be fun. What happened?"

"And you used to be quiet, and that changed," Wade smirked.

"Well, I met a hot guy that brought me out of my shell," he shrugged.

"Yeah, that's what I want to hear. My parents are all sexed up. It's every kid's dream," Cade said, making a face.

I had to laugh. My uncles and cousin were crazy but in the right way. When Cade came into their life, Uncle Wade became more serious, whereas Uncle Cole wanted to spoil Cade. There were a lot of compromises, and Cade was fine.

"I'm good with Disney world." Adrian shrugged.

"Us too," Sylvia agreed, and so did Julian.

My parents were okay with it, as was my Uncle Luke and Aunt Autumn along with cousin Leah. Even Wade relented and agreed. They all looked at me.

"Enzo? What do you say, bud? Do you want to go to Disney world?" Dad asked me.

It was always a gamble with amusement parks and rides. Being deaf, if I didn't have someone with me, I wouldn't know if there was a problem. I remember I got lost in an amusement park once. I had let go of my dad's hand, and something shiny caught my attention.

Being five, I was more mesmerized by the object. People bumped into me, and I had no way of communicating except for sign language. When I got to the counter, I pointed at the object. When the guy spoke to me, I had no clue what he said.

He got mad and looked like he was yelling while gesturing at me. I did not understand why? I only understood sign language. Since I couldn't speak, I tried to sign to the man, but he shoved me. I didn't understand.

What I understood was someone hitting him and knocking him to the ground. I sat there watching Uncle Cole as he walked over and picked me up. He looked at me and signed, "Are you okay?"

I told him I was and that I liked the shiny thing I saw. I tried to say to the guy, but he got angry with me. Cole assured me that I did nothing wrong except leave my mom and dad. That was no. That was the day I realized not everyone was friendly, and not everyone would treat you right.

He took me back to my frantic parents. I apologized to them, and they told me never to let go of their hands. They made me home. That day was the last time I went to an amusement park.

I stood there as some snapped their fingers, knocking me out of my daydream.

"Enzo?"

I looked at Dad, then at everyone. Then I smiled as I signed, "Sounds good to me."

This time when we went, I would stay close to someone. This time I would fight back because I had people who would fight for me. This time it was my turn.