Advice

Cole

I stood at my window as Luke knocked at my door. He walked into my room and over to me. "Want to talk about it?"

"What is there to talk about?" I asked with a shrug.

"The fact, you're afraid to admit you may like someone," he said to me.

"I'm not afraid of liking someone," I informed him.

"Then what is it? Cole, you are the quietest out of all of us. No one ever knows what is going on in your head because you let no one in," he said to me.

"Maybe I need not share my feelings like most people. Luke, people worry about someone when they say little, but that's not me. It has never been," I said.

"Yeah, I know. But honestly, I think you should be honest about Wade. Only a few of us know, and I'm sure he's tired of hiding," he suggested.

"I'll think about it," I said.

Luke left, and I stood there. I never understood why everyone felt the need to share everything. To me, it wasn't a big deal, but to everyone else, it's a big deal. Maybe I'm just comfortable in my skin. Shocker?

Who knows, maybe one day I may surprise them all.

Wade

"What do you mean he didn't flirt back?" Adrian asked me.

"I don't know. It's like Cole's a closed book. I tried to strike up a conversation but got shot down. Maybe I'm reading the signs wrong." I shrugged as I got dressed.

"Well, from what Antonio said, Cole is the quietest out of all of them. He doesn't say much," Adrian said as he finished dressing.

"Yeah, but when we're alone, it's like he's different," I said to him.

"It's probably his personality. Think about it. Luke is the oldest, and Rain is the youngest. Maybe he prefers to be in the background," he shrugged.

"I don't think that's it. Maybe Cole's comfortable with whom he is." I shrugged.

That was the thing about Cole; he didn't seem like he was insecure, mean, or anything like that. I think he had a quiet nature. I wish I could figure him out because it would make things easier.

After pulling on my coat, I walked out of the locker room and found Cole leaning against his car.

I walked over to him, "What are you doing here?"

"Waiting," he said.

I looked at him.

"Was it necessary to show up at my house?" He asked me.

"What was I supposed to do? Your dad wanted to talk to me. And Percy?"

He shrugged. "My sister is as smart as hell."

I looked at him.

"Look, I had to coach Rain for a while. My dad will not be happy," he sighed.

"Cole, I know you want to wait until I'm eighteen to tell people, but I'm tired of hiding us," I said to him.

He looked at me. "I know. I hate hiding it. What did Adrian say?"

"Kept asking me questions. I had to act like you were uninterested in me, and it confused me. Do I look like the confused type?" I asked Cole.

He scoffed, "Hell no, you big flirt, which a good job flirting with me at my house."

"I thought it was," I smirked.

He reached over and pulled me into a kiss. Damn, it's been a while since we kissed. I missed his lips against mine.

We stood there kissing before breaking from it.

"I'll tell you what, if you want me to tell people we're together, I will," he told me.

I looked at him and smiled. "Yeah, I would."

He gave me a quick kiss before getting into his car. I stood there, watching him drive off.

"Well, good to know you lie," I heard Adrian say as I turned to face him. He gave me a look.

I rolled my eyes, excellent.

Cole

I pulled in and got out of the car. I walked inside, and Dad stopped me.

"I know you like to keep things private, but did you expect me to buy that bullshit story you were selling?" he asked me. Well, shit.

I sat at the table, and he set a mug in front of me, then took a seat.

"How long have you and Wade seen each other?" He point-blank asked me.

"Five months," I told him.

"Cole, why didn't you just tell us?" He asked me.

"Because he's seventeen, and I'm nineteen."

He looked at me as I took a sip of my coffee. My dad wasn't a difficult man, but I wanted to wait until Wade was eighteen. People talk, and I didn't want him to deal with bullshit. Rain dealt with enough.

"Are you happy?" He asked me.

"Yes," I replied.

"Then that's all that matters. Your mom and I want you and your siblings to be happy. I didn't grow up in a happy home," he explained.

"I know. But honestly, you and Mom are amazing parents. That's why I don't worry about what people think. I know people talk. They think I'm a thug because I have tattoos and don't look clean cut, but truthfully, I got them because of Rain," I told him.

"Because you wanted to show her it was okay to be different," he added.

"Yes," I said.

"Cole, you and your brother are amazing people. The way you care about your sister is something special."

"That's because Rain is special. She makes me want to be a better person," I shrugged.

It was the truth. My tats were for Rain because she enjoyed looking at them. Plus, it made her understand that we are all different and unique. I didn't know that Wade was Antonio's friend when I introduced him to Rain, but I'm glad I did.

When I found out he hung out with her because he wanted to and not because I asked him to, it made me happy about my decision with him. That day I went to pick up Rain, Luke tried to talk me out of it, but I wanted to see Wade.

To see Rain upset had upset me since I caused it. I broke her routine because I wanted to see my boyfriend. For that, I felt terrible. After that, I decided not to break her routine for my own needs. Even Wade told me it was fine.

He said she came first. That's when I fell harder for him.

Sometimes we have to realize what's important. I know people would say it's okay to be happy and put my happiness first, but for me, my sister comes first. She always did and always will. Isn't that what being a brother means?