Chapter 36, Hypocrites

Start from the beginning

The group of people raise their eyebrows at me. "It's an honor to meet you, Miss D'logiram," Ishaan greets - staying a good arm-length away, but the Indian man still has warmth behind his colorful mask.

"The honor is mine, Ishaan...?" I greet.

"Ishaan Anand," he helps, "I'm the second in command of the Ivahdam gang. We're not really from here, but we're looking to expand and thought your country's annual masquerade would be perfect. Blake and I met at the International gathering three years back. You must be there for next year's gathering! I hear it's in Egypt this time! Oh you'll love it! Not like these dances you have. The experience is much more vibrant," Ishaan explains.

Blake leans in close and whispers: "Ishaan likes talking."

I smile politely at Ishaan and say: "If all goes well until then, I'm sure I'll be there." I then turn to the next man and take only a second to remember his name. "It's nice meeting you too, Benjamin," I greet.

Benjamin shakes my hand, but he's not as warm as Ishaan. This one should have an eye kept on him. "Same goes," he says - the half of his face covered by his mask doesn't hide his smirk.

Lastly, I turn to Enzo and Valentina, his partner. He's a bit short, but makes up for it with the grey hairs adorning his dark head. If you can grow old whilst being in a gang, you're doing something right. "I'm in the inner gang of Gladius. We've always had good trades with Sterling and I hope to see that continue," the short man says - his partner, Valentina, stays glued to his side..

"I'm sure it will," I answer before Blake nods at the group and has us walking away.

We great a few more people and when I really can't remember anymore names, Blake leads us to the ballroom. "That other guy. Benjamin. From which gang is he?" I ask.

"Trojan," Blake answers and I manage to hear him over the chatter and music.

"Friend or foe?" I ask.

"The only friends you have here tonight are those from your own gang," Blake admits.

I let out a deep sigh at the thought if being surrounded by enemies. Maybe getting a fork isn't such a bad idea. I know which veins to stab. 

Blake holds me at arms-length as we walk to the dance-floor and a song starts playing. It's old, but with a touch of something new. I immediately feel the rhythm. The beat. Blake and I never really danced at the last ball I attended. Let's see what my fiance has.

"Stop looking so worried. Nothing's going to happen," Blake laughs. One hand is on the small of my back, the other holds my extended hand. He doesn't seem to be too bad. Good form. Very basic.

"Why haven't we seen my father yet?" I ask.

The music catches a faster beat and we pick up the pace with all the other people around us. Because the tail of my dress is so long, we lose a bit of rhythm whenever Blake tries to avoid stepping on the silver material.

"You'll see him, Darling. Don't worry," Blake soothes.

We dance some more, letting the music do the talking, before I suddenly say: "You said you have some confessions."

Blake sighs and lets me out in a twirl. When he brings me back in a fast turn, I have to go a bit slower to avoid tripping over the dress. If I live to the day Blake and I eventually get married, I'll make a note to not have a dress with such a long tail and high slit. Dancing is not easy.

Blake has me close to his chest while we dance on. "Well, it's not that I didn't lie, it's just... I've been so threatened by the North trying to snatch you. I don't trust them. But, we can't just assume either. Now that I have you, we can consider some facts. I don't want Sterling merging with anyone. Not unless we marry Owen off to some Trojan girl. But alliances are important," Blake says over the heavy violin.