Chapter 79, The world, the world

A/N: Why was this the chapter that got me to cry  while I wrote?

Without a car, a taxi is the next best thing.

I yell at the driver to speed towards the airport that's at the city a town over. We have to make it there before 7 AM. Blake tried calling and messaging Xavier to stay, but the only response he got is that there's an emergency in Tygerwell and he's leaving at 7 AM. 

With only half an hour left, the driver doesn't think we can make it.

And in my panic, everything comes to me in snippets.

"What have you done, Amber Marigold?" the devil asked. His green eyes turned a shade I couldn't point out and suddenly his hair didn't look neat at all. Like the dark fire was ready to burn the whole world.

"You said someone... has to die. I pick... me..." I breathed.

Time started to slow. Xavier pushed me away - scrambling to put distance between us like he felt the burn as well. "You idiot," Xavier mumbled before he got up and left.

I didn't feel pain. I didn't really feel anything. I could touch the growing hole in my chest - right by my heart, but I couldn't feel it. I could only see how dark my blood was. Now everybody can see that I'm not really made of gold, I thought. I'm made of blood and flesh and faults and pain.

Blake was the first to run over to me. Owen was crawling his way over - his leg seemed to be broken. I wasn't sure if was the poison or the blood-loss that was making black and silver spots dance in my vision.

Blake begged me to hold on while Owen got closer and asked me why the hell I saved Blake. They started arguing and what was left of my heart couldn't take it.

"Please just be... friends... Do it... for... me..." I mumbled.

Blake and Owen looked at each other and I felt my failing heart beat at that. They will live, I told myself. They will live and be friends and unite and ultimately beat the North at the end.