Chapter 67, A Visit

I sit quietly and watch Jane handle a few matters while sitting at her desk like every other day

I sit quietly and watch Jane handle a few matters while sitting at her desk like every other day. Some new recruitment issues are discussed, the twins report on Tygerwell High, the group of fighters from Gladius are on their way and of course when exactly the wedding will be after the South gets weakened is also mentioned.

When a couple of other guys and I are excused for the day, I go outside and stand by my black Bugatti. 

"We've been through quite a lot, haven't we?" I ask my car while looking for a cigarette in my pocket. 

I light myself a smoke and start inhaling the toxicity. Even knowing how bad smoking is for me, I feel like standing here, in this house, is even more toxic than the nicotine.

I still have to tell Amber what I found out at that masquerade... It's been eating at me knowing something that could change this whole fight... And I should probably have told someone by now, but I feel like Amber should be the first to hear. And I haven't seen her since that masquerade...

I haven't seen her since almost making her marry me... God, I'm an asshole.

"Sup, Blake," I hear someone say.

I turn around and it's just the twins.

"Ryan. Bryan," I greet and look back ahead of me while leaning against my Bugatti. I close my eyes and lean my head back - taking a drag and wishing I was just anywhere else. Wishing I was nowhere.

"Can we have one?" the twins ask.

I open my eyes and they're both on either side of me - leaning against the car as well and looking more somber than ever. 

"Where are the jokes? The stupid questions?" I ask them.

"Does asking if you can ask a question, count as the question?" Bryan asks.

I blink at that, open my mouth to say something and then close my mouth again. "You're questions were always funnier," I say with a shrug while getting out a cigarette for each of the twins.

"Thanks," they say and take out their own lighters.

"What happened?" I ask while staring at absolutely nothing.