Chapter 15, Backstories in Raven

"And this is my baby

"And this is my baby. Her name is Raven and you better treat her with respect," I tell Marigold when we get to my black and maroon jet.

Nessa and Daniel are both already inside - bickering about Crystal and who really won the challenge. Paul is carrying everyone's bags since we have a lack of flight attendants and Jack is in charge of tying Jaacobah up inside.

"You named your jet after a bird?" Marigold asks.

"You mean to tell me you don't name your jets after birds? Damn, I'm out of trend over here," I laugh. I could've sworn Marigold's lip curved slightly, but I might just be hopeful over here. "After you," I say and gesture for Marigold to take the stairs.

She looks around nervously and tugs at her skirt.

"A, I'm not kidnapping you, I'm taking you to a doctor. And B, I won't look up your skirt while you go up the stairs," I reassure with a smirk. I love the way Marigold glares at me whenever I smile.

"You do either one of those things and I'll hit you with a wet sock," Marigold threatens.

"Your insults are the highlight of my day," I chuckle back while Marigold climbs into the jet.

I follow her and don't miss the way Nessa and Daniel are checking her out. Those two just love a challenge. And since Marigold over here has proved to be the hardest girl to get, I have no doubt that both their interests are spiked. Only Paul and Jack seem to be minding their own business. And of course Jaacobah that's tied to one of the chairs with furry pink handcuffs. One of Paul's giant pair of socks is still lodged in the Southerner's mouth. I might have to remember feeding him later. Or at least giving him water.

When we're inside and the door closes, Marigold looks awkwardly around. I know my friends well enough to predict that an ice breaker is coming in 3, 2, 1...

"Say, Amberry, do ye prefer the bun or the wiener?" Nessa asks and I choke on air. 

Marigold looks at both Nessa and Daniel for a moment before saying: "Uh... the hotdog?" Daniel jumps up in victory, but Marigold (as expected) quickly adds: "That's why neither of you could ever work for me."