The Point of It All (Prompt: Slow)

"...is to do what makes me happy, now," I said with my arms raised above my head so my father would get it, if not God. They say aim for the stars, you'll land on the roof or something and so I thought it would be great if I aimed for God's ears so I would get my father's at least.  

"Won't do," he said dismissively. "Look at your brother. He's working hard to get into the premium research institutes."

"And do what?" I said, even as my brother sauntered, a large black book propped up against his chest. "Quantum physics. Simply put, show the world it is possible to travel faster than light through time and space."

"You already seem convinced it is possible. Why don't you do it right away then?" I couldn't help quip.  My father and brother rolled their eyes in unison. 

"To study. To research every theory that is around on the topic and look at their limitations, their flaws. And, come up with my own theory that will consign all theirs to the dumpster."

"That's yuuuge. And do what?"

"Leave our galaxy, find new planets and homes to inhabit. Make sure the human race lives on beyond the Earth and do all this within one man's lifetime."

"Now, now," I said turning over a little to my side. "This is where you usually lose me. You are going to study so you can prove everything everyone is learning now is incorrect or to help people blaze through space and find new homes?" 

"Both..." my brother said. 

"I will take it slow and easy, dad," I said turning to my father. "If Genius here proves everything else is wrong, there won't be a point learning all of it now. I'll wait for him to succeed or fail before taking a call."

"What?" 

"Dad, look. I am a time-traveler already, am I not?"

"What do you mean?" My father's face reddened. 

I adjusted the pillow behind my neck. "See, I've been watching a game of football for the past forty-five minutes from right here. Space. I've not moved an inch. And yet, I've traveled through time. So, I am a time traveler."

"Idiot," my brother snapped. "This isn't about whiling time. This is about proving we can travel in time, through time and at speeds faster than light."

"And do what? Push books off a shelf to try and stop yourself?" I waved dismissively. "Look, you want to prove something so I can travel faster than time even if I don't have to and leave a home that I have for a new one simply because it is possible. And that is if  what you think is right is right. Even if you are right, you and I won't go anywhere within our lifetimes. You know what you should do instead?"

"What?" My father said, his face now a deep, concerned purple.

"The second half is about to begin. Manchester United trails Newcastle two goals to nil and Ed Woodward is taking them to an all new low. Dad, let's see if the red devils can make a comeback. And as for you brother, get yourself a girlfriend. Get a life guys," I beckoned them only to find the duo walk away shaking their heads. 

They may have their dreams, but the pizza is all mine!