Chapter 1

Lea's POV:

I sat in front of my computer in my room, browsing through some online shopping websites.

I was looking for a pair of royal blue high heels to match the dress I'd bought for a party next week saturday.

Just when I found the perfect pair, my phone rang.

I stood up and walked over to where my phone was on my bedside table.

Incoming call: Angie.

"Hey Angie, what's up?", I asked as I answered.

"Hey girl, you up for some shopping today? I still need to find a dress for saturday.", Angie asked.

"Yeah sure. Just tell me when and where and I'm there.", I said.

After deciding to meet up in a half an hour by the mall's entrance, I dropped the phone on the bed and walked over to my wardrobe.

I tried on a few things, but quickly gave up and settled for a light sundress and a pair of comfortable sandals. I grabbed my purse, sunglasses, phone and keys and stuffed it into a stylish handbag.

Then I hurried out my door and down the stairs.

"Where are you hurrying off to?", my mom called from the kitchen.

"To the mall with Angie. I'll be back in time for dinner. Love you.", I yelled back before I hurried out into the driveway towards my Porsche.

This was one of the perks of having a successful advocate as a dad and an equally successful veterinarian as a mom.

I put my sunglasses on and started the engine.

"This dress is sooo gorgeous! I'm definitely going to buy it.", Angie said.

We've been shopping for two solid hours already and this was the last store left.

I'd bought a dozens or so new outfits in all the other stores.

My favourite completed outfit so far was a stylish black beanie with a black leather jacket and a pair of black, skinny jeans.

Angie and I walked to the paypoint, talking about some running competitions we were thinking about competing in and the party of saturday.

Afterwards I said goodbye to her and walked over to my car.

I'd just finished loading my bags into the car, when my phone rang.

Incoming call: Mom

That's weird... She never calls me unless something's seriously wrong, I thought.

I quickly answered and asked,"Mom, what's wrong?".

Silence on the other end.

"Mom, can you hear me? Are you okay? I'm coming home right now."

Still the silence continued.

I ended the call and threw the phone back into my handbag, while starting the engine and racing out of the parking lot.

No way my mom called for no reason.

I wouldn't be surprised if my dad had called, but my mom was another story all together.

She mildly detested any kind of technology at most.

I sped down the street, weaving through the cars until I reached my house.

I quickly parked in the driveway and rushed to the front door, not caring about the stuff in the car.

I unlocked the door and looked around.

There was no sign of anybody anywhere in the house.

Just as I was about to go to the kitchen, my mom came down the stairs.

She wasn't moving with her usual confidence and grace. Her eyes were red as if she had been crying, which she never did. Ever.

I rushed up to her and asked,"What happened?"

My mom gestured back to the front door and said with a sad smile,"Let's get your things inside first, then we'll talk."

This isn't good, I thought.

It took three trips to get all the shopping bags inside.

All the while I tried to get my mom to tell me what was wrong, but she wouldn't say a word.

After the bags where inside, my mom suggested that we go for a swim in the pool for a bit.

"... before we never get the chance again.", my mom added, so low that I wasn't sure if I was suppose to hear it or not.

We swam for a little while and then went to lay on the lounging chairs next to the pool in the sun.

My mom sighed and finally spoke,"You wanted to know what's wrong, right?"

I shrugged, knowing that my mom would tell me anyway.

"Well, first off, I was offered a job on a reservation in Washington. I told them that I accepted. Then -", my mom took a deep breath.

I knew that the news was going to be bad, but I just didn't know how bad.

"Then what happened mom?", I asked.

My mom turned her face away and said,"About a hour after you left, your dad came home with some woman and told me that he is divorcing me and was going to be staying with that woman."

My mom started to cry as she added,

"He wants us out of the house by Friday and we'll have to move to Washington. We're leaving on Wednesday."

Hi everyone. This is my new story. I hope you'll enjoy it. I'll try to upload a chapter every week, so watch this space.

V O T E
C O M M E N T
S H A R E
A N D
F O L L O W