10. Normal

Clara
* 1 year later*

I was practicing a dance when my mother came running to the house.

"Clara! Clara!" My mother shouted my name in a urgent voice.

I ran to the living room alarmed.

"Mom, what's going on?" I asked scared that something was wrong.

"Have you heard!" She said almost shouting in my ear.

"What?" I asked.

"Jack is getting married!" she said like if she had dropped a bomb.

"That's great mom" I said sitting on the sofa.

"Aren't you going to fight to get your man back" my mother said crossing her arms.

"He is not my man!" I said annoyed.

"I think he is doing this to test you" my mother said.

"Don't even say it! I am happy with my life now and wish the same thing to Jack" I said trying to calm down.

My mother was trying to persuade me to get back with Jack. But that was never going to happen. Just thinking about it made me shiver.

****

"What were you thinking?" Jack shouted at me tightening his hold on my neck.

"Jack, please let me go!" I said scared to death.

"You made me look like an idiot as you danced with another guy" he said letting go and pushing me against the floor.

"Jack, I didn't do anything. He asked to dance with me and you allowed it" I said as he walked towards me.

"You should have said no or unless tried to tell him no. But you decided to act like a slut" he said kicking me on the stomach.

"I would never do that" I said gasping for air.

"Why? Do you always provoke me. Do you think I enjoy doing this!" He said punching me on the face.

****

"Call him" my mother was saying now.

"No!" I said getting up fast and going to my room.

"Why? He doesn't deserve this" My mother said entering my room and slamming the door.

"If you like him so much than you should marry him" I said getting on the bed and hugging my knees.

"He did nothing but treat you like a queen. I know he sometimes treated you bad but nobody is perfect. You need to learn to forgive and move on" My mother said crossing her arms.

"I forgive him a long time ago so I would appreciate it, if you left my past and the past" I said closing my eyes.

"He was your husband how can I leave things alone. Don't you feel embarrassed to go outside after abandoning your husband" My mother said coldly.

"We both agreed to this separation" I said in a low voice.

"He had to let you go because of your stubbornness but you know he loves you" she said tears in her eyes.

"Mom.." I started to say.

"I want to hold a grandchild in my arms before I die" she said her voice breaking.

"Mom, you will but not now. I have a career to focus on" I said.

"You don't understand" she said sitting on the bed.

I felt my heart beat increased when she said that.

"What is going on mom?" I asked touching her hand.

"I went to the doctor today" she said looking at me.

"What did he say?" I asked.

"He said I have coronary artery disease" she said her voice breaking up.

"It can't be" I said tears forming in my eyes.

"The only thing I want for you is to never be alone. I can die peacefully if I knew my daughter was married to someone that loved her so much" she said with a smile.

"Mom, I'm sorry but I can't do it. I can't be with Jack. I only have bad memories about him" I said my voice shaking.

"Than lets make a deal" she said wiping her tears.

"A deal" I repeated.

"Convince Jack to not get marry and tell him to try working things out. Than give Jack a chance to prove himself to you if he still doesn't convince you than I will not oppose to your decision anymore" she said calming herself.

"Sorry, but I can't" I said feeling my body shake with fear.

Imagining seeing Jack in person was like me being sent to being executed.

"Fine. Than I don't have anything to do here" she said getting up.

"Mom don't be like this. I can't let you go knowing that your sick" I said getting up.

"I don't need your pity. Do what you do best, hide and pretend" she said stepping outside ready to leave.

"Fine, I'll do it but don't get your hopes up" I said bumping into my mother as she stopped in her tracks.

"Really" she said shocked.

"Yes" I said feeling dumb for agreeing.

She hugged me tightly and sigh and relief.

"Thank you" she said crying from joy.

I hugged her.

It didn't matter if I had to humiliate myself to Jack. I only cared about my mother and her health.

Jack, is getting married. I doubt he will do what my mother wishes. He only needs to say no and that's all. How hard could it be?
I thought trying to be confident.

"Lets go in" I said guiding her inside the house.

"Call him" my mother said sitting on the sofa.

I got my phone and took a couple of breaths before calling him.

"Hello" a women answered with a laugh.

I stayed quiet.

I couldn't do this to her and Jack. My mother was staring at me. I'll just speak to Jack and that is all. It doesn't mean anything.

"Who is this?" She asked getting impatient.

"Can I speak to Jack?" I said quietly.

"Hold on" she said as the phone went silent.

"Who is this?" Jack asked seriously. I could tell he was in a bad mood.

"Hi, Jack this is Clara. I wanted to know if we could meet up" I said awkwardly.

"Clara" Jack said surprised.

"I understand if you don't want to see me" I said ready to hang up.

"No, lets meet up" he said quickly.

"Okay" I said my heart beating quickly.