09

▂▂▂▂

"This was your smart plan?" I questioned Marcel, frowning harshly at him as he, Klaus and I stood in the compound courtyard.

"It is smart, maybe even brilliant," Klaus commented, smirking at me, "if I do say so myself."

My frown grew at Klaus, "Marcel, can I talk to Klaus alone please?"

"Sure." Marcel exhaled before beginning to head towards the exit of the compound.

I took in a breath, fully facing Klaus, "I want to find Hayley as much as you, okay? But I really don't think this is the right way to do it. You can't just keep leaving and then coming back and claiming you're King again. These people have their packs, their lives. Things have changed in seven years, Klaus, and you can't bursting in when you feel like it."

"Where's your boat of confidence in me gone?" He asked, eyebrows crushing together, "I always thought you rather appreciated me so high up on the monarchy, with yourself by my side. The power over the city in our hands."

"The only thing I care about in this city are the beings and their safety." I stated, "Power is very overrated."

After the heat of my comments, I tried to calm myself. I began to walk towards the downstairs living room, but am stopped but Klaus' voice, "You're upset about something."

"Yeah," I said, turning on the balls of my feet to face him, "about this stupid plan I came back to."

"No, something else." Klaus said, his deep blue eyes analzying my features. He stepped closer to me, "What's bothering you?"

I felt a churn in my stomach, remembering what happened back at the Salvatore School. The thought of Lila's life in danger at the hands of Hope. I thought it'd traumatise her for life.

"Let's just focus on this." I told him.

"Cassie..." He caught my arm before I could turn around again. Klaus stepped closer to me again, now staring down into my eyes, "Tell me."

I pressed my eyes shut, every ounce of me telling me not to tell him what had happened. But if I didn't tell him, it would kill me more. I exhaled, meeting his gaze, "Hope nearly burnt Lila alive. If I hadn't have swooped in, she'd -- I --  "

Klaus' eyes widened, "What?"

I swallowed the rising lump in my throat, "She's growing out of control. I think Freya's trying to help her, but... she's insanely powerful, Klaus, and when the time comes that she implodes, there's nobody that can stop her."

Klaus seemed unable to comprehend what I'd just said, "Why would she do that?"

I shrugged, "I don't know, Klaus."

It fell silent between us. Neither of us knowing what else to say or do. The silence was soon interupted by Lila's voice echoing through the compound, "Mommy!"

My head shot up in concern, "I'm coming, Lila."

I glanced at Klaus before quickly rushing up the stairs. I entered the upstairs living room to see a wall of flames starting from the fireplace, and Lila on the other side. My eyes widened in shock.

My hands flew up and I quickly chanted an incantation, extingushing the flames and killing off the ones in the fireplace. When they were gone, I rushed to my daughter, kneeling before her.