16

▂▂▂▂

Third Person P.O.V

Klaus rushed to the now empty bed along with Freya, "Someone took her."

"No, Klaus." Freya shook her head, inspecting the stains, "The blood is laced with poison, she threw it up. She's alive."

His expression softened and his voice lowered, his head and heart were feeling far too many different emotions. It was as though he couldn't believe it and could at the same time, "What?"

Kol frowned, feeling the same as Klaus but his heavy concern outweighed it all, "Then where the hell did she go?"

"Scour the city, we have to find her before she tries to kill herself again." Elijah ordered, which caused everyone to stare at him.

"I didn't think you'd care." Klaus stated, narrowing his eyes at him.

Elijah's heart heaved and his brows furrowed at his siblings, "Of course I care, it's Cassie."

The three decided to split up to search for the brunette, whilst Freya remained in the compound incase she returned there. Freya also called Caroline to make sure that Lila was still safe and happy with her in Mystic Falls, along with Theo and Hope.

Klaus rushed to St. Anne's Church, Elijah headed for the French Quarter and Kol made his way towards the cemetery. Klaus entered the church and searched it all to find it was empty. Elijah had a larger task at hand as the Quarter was full of people in every inch.

Kol ran through many of the tombs before he realised there might be a particular one she might be in.

He found her, in the old Claire tomb. She was crying and pacing and muttering to herself while her fists were squeezing the hair on her scalp.

She didn't notice him, "Please, please, stop. I don't know, there's nobody. Stop. I can't. No."

Kol agonisingly watched her talking to herself and sobbing. He never wanted to see her like this, he hated it. He wanted to run to her and pull her in his arms and comfort her, but he knew she needed someone more than him, so he walked back out of the tomb and called Klaus.

By the time Klaus had got to the tomb, he expected Cassie to have left but she was still in there, still talking to herself and crying.

"Something." She said, not noticing Klaus enter the tomb either, "There has to be... be... there's always another way -- there..."

Klaus cautiously moved towards her before she completely broke down. Her chest became exceedingly heavy and then her legs collapsed. Klaus caught her before she could fall and he gently moved down to the floor with her.

He held her tightly in his arms as she sobbed, resting her head against his chest. Klaus had seen her hurting many times and it never ever got easier to see her that way. When her heart broke, so did his.

The tomb filled with her cries as Klaus tried to comfort her as best as he possibly could. Both of them were sat there, broken in different ways.

▂▂▂▂

Cassie's P.O.V

Klaus had brought me back to the compound after I'd managed to regain some sanity in the Claire tomb. I'd never felt so lost, or manic. The voices in my head were still so loud and were telling me to kill the people I loved. It was agonising.

After waking from my death, my body had rejected the poison and I'd thrown it up. After that I didn't hesitate to leave the compound, I was afraid of what would've happened if I'd stayed, I was afraid of being hated.

I was standing infront of the window in Klaus' study whilst he stood a few feet behind me. I stared out into the streets of the Quarter, trying to ease my mind but it wouldn't work, all I could think about was how stupid I was for trying to kill myself.

"I'm sorry." I spoke lowly, my voice still dry and my eyes still filling with tears. I turned to face him, "I'm sorry, Klaus. I'm so so sorry."

He moved forward and tried to pull me into his arms but I pulled back, beginning to sob again, "No, I don't deserve a hug, I don't deserve you."

"Hey, hey, stop." Klaus frowned, grabbing my flailing arms and placing them by my sides. He stared deeply into my eyes, "Cassie, what you did, you did because you thought it was the right thing, okay?"

I let out a sob, "But it was selfish, you were right."

"I was upset." He said, "I would have done the exact same thing if I could've."

I let my head bow, "I'm sorry."

We stayed in silence for a moment as he brought me into his arms and this time I let him. I felt as though I should have been shunned by the entire family for my actions but Klaus didn't feel that way.

I was being held by him, the love of my life. The something in my life that meant everything to me and I almost lost it because of myself. I was somebody to someone, or more than just someone, to multiple someones.

So now I was determind to find anything I could to make sure this would never go, that this family would remain unbroken, just like I had promised my children.

"I saw her." I told Klaus as I pulled back from him, "I saw Hayley."

"You did?" He questioned, a little surprised.

"She misses everyone." I stated, "And she told me I could find the answer, that I had to think of everyone I'd ever met, but I just... I don't know, Klaus."

"Maybe you just need to relax for a while." Klaus said, rubbing my shoulders tenderly, "Take a hot bath, wrap yourself in a duvet and sleep?"

I thought about it but shook my head, dismissing the idea, "As nice as that sounds, it won't help."

"Would it if I were to join you?" He offered, gently brushing the back of his fingers against my cheek.

I wrapped my fingers around his and took his hand from my face. I held his hand in mine, running my thumb over the back on his, "I just need to be alone for a while to think."

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" He asked, never taking his eyes off of me. I could see how concerned he was that I was going to attempt to do something again.

"I'll stay in the compound, okay?" I reassured him, "I'll just go somewhere nobody else will be, like the kitchen or the cellar... oh my God."

It wasn't possible, was it? What I had thought of, surely I'd have thought of it before, but... I hadn't.

"What?" Klaus' brows furrowed.

"How did I not think of that?" I asked myself.

"Cassie, what?" Klaus asked, still confused, "Did you find a solution? What is it?"

"Your psychotic ex."

Author Note -
This book is so close to the end :(