nine | saints and sinners

Start from the beginning

Was Baekhyun going to point a gun at me and shoot?

'' Baekhyun, do you ever feel bad about who you are? ''

The mafia leader's head peeked out of the water by my side and he wiped his eyes before smiling and replying: '' I am usually feeling pretty confident about my looks. ''

'' I am not talking about your face. '' I sat up, sunk my hand in the water and poked his chest. His eyes slightly widened with surprise, while I stayed serious. '' I am talking about what's in here. Do you ever feel bad about being a criminal? About the things you did, the things you do... The lives you took, everything you saw... The blood will forever be on your hands. ''

'' You are starting to sound like chief Seha. '' I waved my hand in front of his face for emphasis and he cringed and shoved it away. I remembered the owner of the car fixing place, while he pushed himself back and started swimming away. '' To answer your question though... I do feel bad when I think about it too much. I usually tell myself that it's the world's fault for being bad and unfair and making me this way, but I know that at the end of the day it was me who made all these horrible decisions. When I was younger, I used to pretend like there was a switch in my head and I turned it off before I pointed my gun at somebody, but I changed through the years. You can't keep living in a lie. You have to face reality as it is and deal with it. ''

You will have to change or you'll give me no choice but to betray you, Cobra.

'' Cash and other things that come with this life certainly help you forget about the guilt. Like it or not, you are my sidekick now so whatever I got, is yours too, '' Baekhyun told me and winked before lifting himself out of the water.

I pursed my lips and muttered: '' I don't like it. The sidekick is often the one that ends up getting killed. ''

He chuckled and kicked me inside the pool. '' Well let's hope that doesn't happen this time then. You need to step up your game. ''

My eyes widened with surprise when I flew in the water and sunk under the surface. He was about to pick up his towel and go, but I quickly reached out towards him, grabbed his ankle and pulled him back inside. He waved his hands through the air and ended up falling right on top of me. I got pushed under the surface of the water and I accidentally choked before I managed to lift myself out again. I was coughing and catching my breath, so I didn't even realise how close Baekhyun and I were standing.

I held my breath and stared right in to his eyes. His face was dangerously close to mine and there was no sight of the joking smile that he had before. My heart was beginning to beat faster and I let out an awkward laugh. I adverted my gaze, pursed my lips and mumbled: '' Now you've done it, we are both going to smell like chlorine tonight. ''

I could feel Baekhyun's burning stare and the sound of his voice sent shivers down my spine when he lowly responded: '' You might be my sidekick, but if you don't stop pouting your lips while they're this close to mine, I will- ''

'' Knock, knock! Your favourite informant is here! Where should I put my suitcase? '' Mark's yelling came out nowhere and it made both of us jump apart with surprise.

Baekhyun seemed angry at first, then a look of horror appeared on his face. '' Did he just say 'suitcase'? ''

'' Well he did let us stay in his place, so you better not kick him out, '' I mumbled and ran through my wet hair with my hand.