six | casino lights

'' i was born bad

but then I met you.

you made me nice for a while

but my dark side's true. ''

***

***

It's been years and the nightmares came back.

I completely forgot about them by now and I wasn't expecting them to come back to haunt me.

It was a warped memory of the day that I met Park Chanyeol. It was snowing for the past couple of nights and I couldn't even remember the last time that I managed to steal some food. I was sitting between two trash cans, hugging my legs and trembling. My clothes were covered with a thin layer of snow, but I was so hungry that I couldn't even feel the cold. My eyes were just beginning to close when a figure suddenly appeared in front of me. He was young, but my instincts always screamed danger when it came to other human beings. I tried to attack, but he instantly jumped out of the way and I slipped on the icy ground and collapsed in the snow. 

I was laying there and catching my breath when something suddenly landed on top of my head. It took me a few moments to realise that it was a scarf and my eyes were wide when I looked at the boy once again. His face was deathly serious and sculpted by all the bad things that he had to suffer in his life.

'' Want to come with me, stray cat? I like people with fighting spirit. You don't survive these tough winters if you don't have it. ''

He held his hand in my direction and I hesitated for a moment too long.

Years ago, he turned around, started walking away and I rushed after him. In my nightmares the same thing happened, only that I wasn't able to catch up with him again. His figure kept walking further and further away in to darkness. I was running after him, crying and screaming his name, but he didn't turn back. The darkness completely swallowed him and I woke up from the nightmare.

Sometimes I wondered how we would've turned out if we would've been one of the luckier kids from our neighbourhood. My parents were killed by Father and he was kicked out of the house by his abusive mother, but what if we were born in nicer families? Would we sit next to each other at school? Would we meet at the playground? Would we still become friends?

If things wouldn't have been bad from the start, who would Chanyeol and Mijin even turn out to be?

'' Boss, Mark really needs to stop giving you these new earpieces. ''

'' See, calling me boss has a nice ring to it, doesn't it? ''

I scowled in annoyance and clenched my fingers in to fists. Baekhyun was giggling through the earpiece, while I was trying my best to keep my composure. I was standing next to Lucas and Minseok, who knew that he was still alive, but we were planning to keep that a secret from the rest of his men for now. They just got out of the police station where they were detained and there was no way to know where their loyalties really were. That was why the three of us went to meet them that day instead of Baekhyun too.