four | the wasp nest

'' maybe i could save you from your sins '' 

***

I often thought to myself: this is it.

This is it, this is the epitome of stupidity.

It could not possibly get any more stupid than this.

Somehow I managed to prove myself wrong every single time.

'' No mercy. You asked for it. ''

'' Oh, I'm going to make you pay. ''

'' Good morning- '' Mark walked in to the living room of his apartment, but he instantly stopped in the middle of his words when he saw Baekhyun and I. His face got deathly serious at the sight of the two of us, leaning towards each other from each side of the kitchen table. We were glaring deep in to one another's eyes and I didn't even realise how close we were until Mark appeared out of nowhere. My nose was touching Baekhyun's, his eyes were burning in passion and I was still holding the cards from our last game of poker. '' You are still playing? Don't tell me that you didn't even go to sleep? ''

I turned my head and my eyes widened in surprise. Baekhyun dropped back down on his chair and a playful smirk appeared on his face. He glanced at his own cards before throwing them on the table and revealing that he won once again. '' Don't blame me. I had no idea that teaching Mijin poker was going to turn out to be such a challenge. This would've been over way sooner if she wasn't such a slow learner. ''

'' I can't believe I already thought that you were going to say something along the lines of how fast time passes when you are having fun, '' I angrily replied and threw my own cards at his face before rushing away. The clock was already moving towards ten in the morning and I was already late for what I had planned for that day. '' It's easy for you to say things like that and not care about not going to sleep, when I am the only one that has to go out and do things! I can't wait until the tiredness catches up with me sometime during the day... One of you better come pick me up in case I pass out somewhere and don't answer the phone! And Baekhyun, you better buy lunch for Mark, since you won all of my money! ''

Baekhyun, who was already counting his earnings, scowled in protest and said: '' Hey, it's not my fault that your wallet is empty now! You are the one who wanted to play for cash instead of clothes like I suggested! ''

Last night I played a game of poker where I put my life on the line. The rules were simple, if I would win, I could keep living, but if I would lose, then I would die. Baekhyun almost couldn't believe it when he heard that I won by pure coincidence and he took it upon himself to teach me how to properly play poker. He was also really surprised when he heard that I found the legendary mafia leader Dragon and got him to step on our side. 

The man's name was Minseok and he didn't even want to think about stepping on our side at first. It was long since he abandoned the life of crime, he was leading a noodle restaurant now and he wasn't interested in breaking the law anymore. When I asked him what changed, he told me that he did. '' I promised myself that I will swallow the streets. I thought that you have to be ruthless to survive in this world. I thought that I was ruthless, but... I couldn't help it but to stop and take a second look at the world around me. That was when I saw my family members dying, my friends dying... Everything good that I've ever known, was slowly disappearing and it was all because of me. ''