The Course of True Love Never Did Run Smooth

Sunlight cast a warmth on my skin as I tilted my head up towards the midmorning sky, causing me to smile peacefully as my muscles stretched out and I praised my decision to practice my yoga session in the backyard instead of the living room. Birds were chirping in the trees, cars could be heard faintly in the distance and my heartbeat was completely steady as I moved through the movements with ease. When I was first turned into a werewolf yoga and sparring were the two outlets I used to manage my misplaced aggression; they helped me feel as though I some semblance of control over my life when Peter had stripped me of the choice whether or not to turn.

Footsteps padding on the grass towards the backward alerted me to the presence of someone but I kept my eyes closed as I focused on the familiar scent and had to smile to myself when I recognised Hayden trying to sneak in. I was incredibly thankful that Scott was out with Stiles because I didn't want his presence to dissuade Hayden from speaking to me about whatever she wanted to speak to me about.

"Good morning, sunshine." I greeted her warmly without opening my eyes as I changed positions, enjoying the way she froze in surprise when she was addressed and it became incredibly clear that Theo wasn't giving the Chimera's any proper training.

"How did you know it was me?" she asked curiously in a soft voice as she started walking forward once more and I opened my eyes to look at her with a smile as I dropped out of my pose.

"I recognise your scent. You haven't learnt how to disguise it yet. Or detect one, it seems." I told her nonchalantly with a shrug of my shoulders as I dropped my arms to my sides so that I was standing normally, making sure that there was no judgement in my voice. A frown marred her pretty features as she came to a few feet away from where I had set up my yoga mat, crossing her arms over her chest in what I'd come to know was her instinctive defensive posture. In so many ways Hayden reminded me of myself; afraid of showing anyone the soft, gooey centre that cares maybe a little too much and so you act as though nothing could affect you instead because if you rely on no one it hurts less when they leave.

Hayden bit down on her lower lip nervously as she shifted on her feet like she didn't know whether or not to say what was on her mind and I kept quiet as I stretched my arm behind my head, treating her as one might a skittish animal. I felt her gaze lingering on the tattoo inked on my hips and I knew that she was remembering the phrase as the one I had repeated that day in the library. I was glad that I had gotten to the stage where hearing the words didn't cause a sharp ache in my heart; they were no longer a reminder of my failure to protect Allison, but a motivation to do everything in my power to protect people.

I started humming to myself absently as I bent my leg up behind me, closing my eyes with a serene smile as the sun beat down on my skin and I couldn't help internally musing that I should really spend more time in the sunshine. I swapped legs after a few moments, enjoying the tender ache of my muscles as I waited for the silence to break Hayden's resolve and I knew that it wouldn't be long before impatience would outweigh her resolve to stay silent out of spite.

"My mother's dead."

"Whoa." I said out loud in surprise as I dropped my leg like it was dead weight, my eyes flying open to stare at her with wide eyes and I placed my hands on my hips while I turned to face her head on as I murmured, "Not where I thought this was going."

Hayden blushed in embarrassment as she turned her head away from me; her posture was tense with frustration and determination as she once again shifted on her feet uneasily. Her jaw was clenched so tightly that I was surprised that I couldn't hear her teeth grinding together but she suddenly blow out a breath like she had come to a decision as she turned her head to meet my gaze. Determination clouded her eyes as she squared her like she was preparing for combat and I couldn't help but quirk an eyebrow in amusement because I was almost positive she wasn't going to physically attack me; and she definitely wouldn't win if she did attempt to fight me.