Strange Frequencies

"I've seen way too many dead bodies for a typical eighteen year old." I muttered in disgust as I stared at the deceased body of the boy on the metal table in the examination room of the veterinarian clinic.

"Do you know him?" Stiles asked me in a strained voice from the other side of the table, his arms crossed over his chest and I pursed my lips to stop myself from grimacing as I looked over towards where he was standing next to Theo.

"His name's Josh. He was a junior."

"Which one did it? The one with the cane?" Scott asked knowingly with a dejected expression as he paced up and down the length of the room, obvious frustration in the lines of his face. The same discouraged frown that had been on his lips since Stiles and Theo had come running up to us in the hospital, announcing unceremoniously that they'd found the latest Chimera on the roof but were too late.

My eyes narrowed in suspicion when I noticed Theo and Stiles sharing a look on the other side of the table and immediately felt the subconscious part of me that equally hated and loved mysteries rear its ugly head. It seemed unlikely that they had some secret shared between them, since Stiles had been very vocal about his apparent hatred and distrust of the newest resident of Beacon Hills.

"Yeah." Theo answered after a moment too long as his hazel eyes flashed back to my brother, his expression one of complete sincerity and I crossed my arms over my chest with my head tilted to the side thoughtfully.

"What are we going to do with him? We can't just set the alarm and leave. That's how Tracy disappeared." Stiles intercepted when he noticed my attention was becoming sharper on that particular subject matter, his eyes darting away from my searching expression and pointedly staying on my brothers pacing form.

"All right, someone's got to stay here with him." Scott stated firmly as he came to a stop at the head of the med table and rested his hands on the edge, his shoulders slumped as though he was being weighed down by the weight of the world.

"I'll do it. It's not like I had a big Saturday night planned." Theo offered with a humble shrug of his shoulders as he crossed his arms over his chest and I glanced away when his eyes flickered in my direction.

"Well, unlike you, and this guy on the table, I actually have a life, so I'm gonna go." I told them with a tight smile as I waved my fingers mockingly while walking backwards and both of my brothers rolled their eyes at me simultaneously while Theo's expression became blank of all emotion.

Three loud beeps suddenly came from my cell phone indicating that someone had sent me a text message and I immediately frowned to myself as I came to a stop in the doorway to the examination room. I slipped my phone from my satchel curiously, my eyebrow furrowed as I read Liam's name on the ID and I leaned against the doorframe with a frown as I opened the message:

Liam: SOS!!! Need help. Found Chimera.

Sophie: Where are you?

Liam: Your house.

"What is it?" Scott asked in a concerned tone as he carefully moved to my side like I was a wild animal he was approaching and I rolled my eyes at him as I slipped my phone back into my bag.

"Liam found another Chimera. They're at our house." I explained to him as I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear with a worried frown playing on my lips and his dark brown eyes brightened considerably he realised that it meant we had a chance to get ahead of the Dread Doctors if we knew who we were meant to be saving.

"Come on, let's go." he urged in a rush as he grabbed my wrist tightly and began dragging me out of the clinic as Stiles hurried to catch up to our fast pace. I grumbled incoherently in protest as we exited the front of the clinic and a chill ran down my spine as the night air caressed my skin when we entered the parking lot.