Condition Terminal Part Two

Hospitals were quickly skyrocketing to number one on the list of my most hated places. I had seen too many of my friends lying on those scratchy hospital bedsheets, not to mention the lighting was most unflattering. My werewolf senses were always sent into hyper drive when I entered the building, the fluorescent lights gave me a headache, the scent of antiseptic made my eyes water, the rustic scent of blood triggered some primal part of me that desired to inflict pain.

My footsteps made little noise as I snuck down the corridor of the hospital, carefully keeping an eye out of any staff members that would kick me out and not let me see my best friend because I wasn't legally considered family. My mom had gotten me Lydia's room number earlier that morning when she arrived for work and I had immediately snuck in through one of the fire escapes.

I turned the corner to Lydia's room as I hefted the duffel bag on my shoulder higher and I froze for a moment when I saw a familiar someone approaching from the opposite direction. "Jordan? What are you doing here?"

The deputy snapped his head in my direction as a smile spread across his lips, his green eyes lighting up when they landed on me and I stomach churned with guilt like it usually did when he looked at me like that. I couldn't help but marvel at how attractive he looked in his beige police uniform and bit down on my lower lip as I watched the material stretch over his muscle arms while he walked towards me.

"Sophie. Sheriff Stilinski sent me down. Everyone knows something happened at the station last night, so I'm here to collect witness statements. At least, redacted versions of what could be classed as witness statements." He explained drily with an amused smirk on his lips as he came to stop out of the front of Lydia's room and I chuckled with a nod as he reached forward to take the duffle bag out of my hands, "Here, I got that. You're looking very – "

"Exhausted? Pissed off at the world?"

"I was going to say beautiful."

"Oh. Aren't you a gentleman? Lying through your teeth." I said modestly with an earnest expression as I patted his bicep, trying not to get distracted by the feel of his muscle underneath my hand. I glanced down at the unflattering t-shirt I had haphazardly thrown on and the pair of stretchy tights that were at the top of my clean clothing pile. Sleep hadn't come easily to me the night before, my dreams were haunted with images of Lydia bleeding to death in front of me, of Tracy suddenly transforming into a werewolf/Kanima hybrid and the words 'the rules have changed' echoed around in my mind. That morning I hadn't bothered with my usual routine of makeup even though I had obvious dark circles under my eyes or worried about styling my hair and roughly threw it up in a messy bun.

"Not a lie. This is a good look for you." Jordan insisted honestly with a soft smile on his lips and my breath caught in my throat as I held his gaze for a moment longer than necessary. His lips grew into a teasing grin before I could respond to his comment and he carefully opened Lydia's hospital room door in case she was asleep before holding it open for me to pass through.

I narrowed my eyes at him slightly as I walked into the room and my gaze instantly went to the sleeping girl on the bed, her strawberry blonde hair sprawled on the pillow beneath her head. A smile spread across my lips when I noticed how peaceful she looked despite the reason she was stuck in the hospital in the first place.

Jordan passed by me as he set the duffle bag on the table to the side of the room and I sent him a grateful smile as I made my way over to sit down on one of the empty chairs by the window. There was a brief silence as he wandered over to take the other empty chair beside me and I avoided meeting his gaze as I brought one of my knees up to my chest, wrapping an arm around my leg in the process.

Warm sunlight soaked my arm as I turned my head slightly to look at my best friend's prone figure and I shuddering breath escaped me as I rubbed my fingers together before whispering absently,