Codominance

'In and out.' 

'In and out.'

'In and out.'

Nerves caused my fingers to tingle as I sat silently on the couch in our living room, bouncing my knee up and down in a rhythmic fashion. My enhanced hearing couch perfectly hear Stiles playing around with the mechanics of his jeep in the garage and my brother packing a bag upstairs in preparation for their road trip to find Kira. I had let myself into the house only a few minutes prior, wanting to discuss the subject the three of us had actively avoided since I first mentioned it: the fact that I wasn't part of the pack any longer.

After the announcement last night no one uttered a word; Stiles didn't say anything sarcastic, Scott didn't try to coax the reason out of me, and I couldn't believe the words had even past my lips in the first place. The three of us all went our separate ways but ultimately ending up at the same destination and I hoped that it was metaphor for the future; travelling separately but ending up together at the same place. Just because we take different avenues didn't mean we didn't have the same principles, the same morals, and the same hope for a specific outcome of events. I still believed in protecting the innocents of Beacon Hills; 'we protect those unable to protect themselves.'

I wasn't going to sit around and mope about the turn of events; I wasn't going to let myself dwell on the misery I felt about the situation. I prided myself on being savagely unafraid to fight for what I felt was right, on being brave enough to go to war for those under my care and those who were seemingly unaware of the supernatural world that surrounded them.

The sound of the front door opening drew my attention as I stood up so that I was in a better positon to defend myself but the familiar scent associated with Liam hit me as the footsteps got closer to the living room. The young Beta hesitantly appeared from around the corner, his hands in his jean pockets and a sheepish expression on his face but his tense posture immediately relaxed when he saw that I was alone. My lips twitched in amusement but knew the reason for his wariness was because this was the first time he would be seeing Scott since the night of the Supermoon and he wasn't sure how the Alpha was going to react after nearly being killed by him.

I opened my mouth to reassure him but the sound of footsteps echoing from upstairs interrupted and Liam paled considerably as he practically scampered over to stand next to me, as though my presence would halt any wrath coming his way. It was a little humbling to know that he automatically assumed that I would be able to protect him, even from his Alpha's anger. I smiled slightly when he cowered behind me, peeking out over my shoulder as Scott appeared from around the staircase and I could feel the palpable tension in the air as my brother came to a stop at the base of the steps with wide eyes. The overnight duffel bag in his hands sagged slightly as his hands slackened and his expression remained wary as his dark brown eyes flickered with uncertainty, conflicted as to what to feel about the estranged Beta's presence.

Liam shifted nervously behind me, his heartbeat accelerating to an almost dangerous speed and I was starting to get concerned for his health when he suddenly blurted out, "They're alive."

Scott narrowed his eyes in confusion as he shifted on his feet but didn't say anything in response and Liam waited a moment longer to make sure before continuing to explain his words in a nervous ramble, "I mean, the Chimeras. Some of them – not all of them."

"I know." he replied shortly as he looked anywhere except for our direction and Liam tried to hide his grimace at the characteristically curt answer as I placed a comforting hand on his arm, knowing that he was blaming himself for the divide between them.