Dreamcatchers

"Oh, I should've got a haircut." John complained in concern as he scrutinised his short brown hair in the handheld mirror I had brought along to the sheriff's station that evening.

"Well, you know someone your age should be happy you still have hair to cut." Stiles quipped casually with a shrug as he studied his father critically and I shot him a scathing glare that should have burnt him where he stood. When he noticed my look, he gulped nervously and took an innocuous step back so that he wasn't in my direct line of sight.

"I think you look great." Scott told the older man sincerely with a grin lighting up his face and I beamed proudly at his etiquette as I stood next to him with my arm looped through his.

"Well, thank you, son I should have had." John said pointedly with a hint of sincerity as his lips twitched into a smile and Scott's grin widened at the acknowledgement from our pseudo father-figure while Stiles gaped open-mouthed like an offended fish but didn't comment.

There was a moment of silence in the office as John continued to scrutinise his appearance in the small mirror and I frowned slightly when his face crumbled in despair as he started tugging uselessly on the burgundy tie around his neck, "Oh, what the hell am I doing? This is a terrible idea."

"What, John..." I admonished him sternly as I stepped forward to stop him and I placed my hands over his as I tightened the knot in his tie with a slight smile. "John, it's one date, okay?"

"Sophie's right, Dad. The town of Beacon Hills won't implode while you're out with one woman." Stiles said supportively as he clapped his father on the back and his face contorted in thought as he added nonchalantly, "Or man."

"It's a woman, Stiles." John told him in exasperation with a tired sigh as he held still so that I could straighten his collar and Stiles nodded indifferently with an unreadable expression.

"Okay."

"A very beautiful woman."

"What beautiful woman, by the way?"

"None of your business. Any of you." he added when both Scott and I opened our mouths to ask him exactly who his date was with but we quickly snapped them closed under his sharp gaze.

"I want to know." Stiles murmured childishly as he narrowed his eyes at his father but John simply rolled his eyes in return and walked passed him to open his office door. I linked my arm back through my brother's as we made to follow out of the room and Stiles trailed after us with a huff when he realised we weren't going to entertain his curiosity.

"Stilinski!" an enraged male voice called out loudly from somewhere in the station and we all turned to the front of the sheriff's station where Jordan and Deputy Clarke were dragging in a teenage boy who looked furious. "Stilinski! I'm going to kill you."

"Donovan, if you think that shocks me, remember it was well-documented in your Anger Expression Inventory. Deputies, escort the prisoner out." John ordered sternly but without any real malice and I was almost overwhelmed by the utter hatred coming off of the Donovan when I caught the chemo signals he exuded.

"I'm not angry like I'm gonna throw a brick through your window. I'm angry, like I'm going to find you, I'm going to get a knife and I'm going to stab you with it until you're dead. And when you look at me and you ask me why, remember right now. Because this is why." He declared with a sneer as he narrowed his eyes at the older man and I discreetly stepped closer to the sheriff in case he needed protecting but made sure it wasn't obvious so that it didn't discredit his abilities as sheriff.

There was a tension filled silence that followed Donovan's threat and Stiles took upon himself to start a sarcastic slow clap that no else participated in as he stepped forward. Everyone's attention was drawn to the overly hyper boy as he dropped his arms to his sides and tilted his head with mock awe as he drawled, "Wow, that was awesome. That was awesome. That was great. We do one more? Give us another one, maybe like Christopher Walken this time, you know. Okay, you know what? It's fine. You'll have plenty of time to work on it when you're in your tiny, little cell, you know. Just stuck there, forever."