Damnatio Memoriae

"Who was the first one on the scene?" I asked curiously with a frown on my lips as I balanced the cell phone between my ear and my shoulder so that my hands were free. I could practically hear the hesitation through the phone line as I pulled open the closet door where I kept my dresses hanging and tilted my head in consideration as I searched through them for outfits for the week since I doubted I would be back at the house. I had come to the conclusion earlier that morning after saying goodbye to Derek that it would be better for everyone involved if I spent some time away from Scott, so I was going to stay at the loft for the foreseeable future.

"Valerie." Jordan finally admitted with a sigh as I scoffed in mock annoyance, making a bigger deal than necessary just because my dislike for the other deputy had become a running joke between the two of us. I selected some blouses from the railing before I closed the closet door without selecting any dresses and made my way towards the duffel bag I had set down on the bed as I throw the shirts in. "I found a video from the relay station's security camera. Whatever it was, it looked big. And too fast for anyone to get a good look at it. But you already know what it is, don't you?"

"The last Chimera." I agreed with a nod of my head that he couldn't see as I strolled over to my dresser and searched through for some shorts, skirts or pants that matched the shirts that I had chosen.

When I had first seen Jordan's name on my caller ID a shot of guilt went through me but it faded almost immediately; I couldn't bring myself to regret sleeping with Derek. I had woken up the morning after with Derek's arms around my waist, his warm lips trailing down my spine and a positive ache of satisfaction humming throughout my body. It was ridiculously easy to fall into the familiar pattern of waking up together, cooking and eating breakfast together, showering together, and then leaving the loft together. It was simple, and easy.

It didn't even feel like a betrayal until Jordan's phone call came through, but it passed almost as quickly as it came when the facts started to add up in my mind; we weren't together, I wasn't betraying anyone, we had one kiss, there was too much going on in my life for a relationship. I needed to focus on repairing the relationships already in my life that were fracturing, and I needed to limit my distractions so that I was able to out manoeuvre Theo so that he couldn't implement his masterplan.

"I used a black light to check for traces of mercury."

"Let me guess, you found some."

"Bingo. But what was it doing here? Why come here and kill some random communications tech?"

"Maybe it just likes to kill. Maybe it's what it does." I pondered out loud in a saddened voice as I tossed the clothes in my bag before zipping it up, slinging it over my shoulder and I caught sight of my reflection in my vanity mirror when I turned around. My lips instantly twisted into a scowl; I didn't normally categorize myself as vain, and especially lately I hadn't been worried about my appearance, but my hair was looking remarkably like a birds nest. I pressed the speakerphone button on my cell phone as I set it down on the vanity table and picked up my hairbrush, starting to untangle the knots in my hair.

"That's terrifying." Jordan muttered to himself through the phone as I artfully tousled my naturally curly brunette hair, a small smile on my lips as I rolled my eyes at his words. It amused me that he seemed to have pick up my habit of stating the obvious in the driest manner but I had never really noticed it before since we had started to spend more time together.

"Okay. I'll let you get back to protecting and serving the town. Thanks for the call. It's become increasingly helpful to have a man inside the police force." I told him jokingly in a teasing tone of voice but there was an underlying truth to the statement; it was incredibly useful for the pack to have a man inside the police force so that we had firsthand knowledge of what was going on around Beacon Hills.