Status Asthmaticus Part Two

With every laboured breath of Hayden's, I winced to myself as though her pain was my own and I felt close to tears as I rhythmically soothed her brunette hair off of her forehead. My eyes were locked on her face, afraid to blink in case I missed any signs of distress, as she murmured incoherently in her unconscious state. A shot of pain went straight through my heart as she grimaced in pain and shifted uncomfortably on the metal examination table she was lying on.

"It's not working, is it?" Liam asked softly in a pained voice from his position next to me, keeping a tight grip on Hayden's hand and I lifted my head to look at my mother on the other side of the table as she checked the bag of fluid attached to the IV.

"She should be showing signs of improvement." I murmured in a worried tone as my lips pursed in frustration and I stilled my hand on the younger girls head when her eyelids started fluttering. She groaned in the back of her throat weakly as she looked around the unfamiliar room blankly until her gaze landed on me and her eyes began to regain focus as I offered her a small smile, "Hayden?"

"Call Val... My sister... Valerie." she uttered weakly under her breath as I made vague 'shhing' sounds, trying to keep her calm so it aggravate her exhaustion and I nodded absently in confirmation as I rubbed my thumb over her hairline repeatedly.

"She's a deputy." Liam explained in retaliation to my mother's confused expression and Hayden's eyes immediately sought him out when she heard his voice, a soft smile on her lips as he squeezed her hand in response.

"I think I might know where she is. Theo just texted me about the high school. He said there's cops everywhere. Might be another Chimera." Scott said from the doorway to the exam room, lingering awkwardly compared to how Liam and I were gathered around her bedside. I glanced at him over my shoulder with a frown on my lips, instinct telling me to shield Hayden from him, that he was a potential threat, and I didn't want him anywhere near her when he was the reason she was there in the first place.

"Um, my sister... I don't want to die without my sister." Hayden whispered determinedly as she looked up at me with a tears in her eyes but I could see an echo of the fierce glint so uniquely 'Hayden'.

"I'll get her." my brother told us in a firm voice as he nodded with resolute, a hard look in his dark brown eyes as he clenched his jaw and I recognised the determination in his stance as he started to leave the room.

"Uh, wait. What are you going to tell her?" Liam asked in concern with a frown, causing Scott to pause in the doorway and turn around to face us with a genuinely befuddled expression on his features.

"If I have to, I'll tell her everything." he informed us solemnly with a helpless shrug of his shoulders and I quirked an eyebrow in surprise, reluctantly impressed that he would risk telling someone the truth so that Hayden could see her sister one last time.

Resentment settled in my stomach as I stared at his retreating back until he was out of sight and I bit the inside of my cheek as I shook my head to myself in reprimand. As hurt as I was by my brother's reaction to my confession, I was angrier at myself for letting his reaction control my emotions. I didn't want to be reliant on someone's impression of me, I didn't want what someone thought to affect my behaviour and it annoyed me that I was letting that happen.

I didn't know how much of it was because he was my brother, my twin, the person who was supposed to support me through everything, and how much of it was because he was my Alpha, my leader, the person who was supposed to believe in me. Either way, I didn't want his opinion of me to dictate my actions or change my attitude.

"Soph, can you grab everything I need for a venepuncture?" mom asked me from the other side of the table as she offered Hayden a reassuring smile, radiating maternal affection as she brushed the young girls hair out of her eyes.