thirty eight

A week had passed, and Gwen was free to leave the hospital wing. Everyone had come to visit her at least once while she was bedridden. Xavier came to get her to make sure that she was alright.

"Daughter, how are you feeling?" Xavier asked.

"I feel better. Dad, I've been thinking about something" Gwen said.

"What's on your mind?"

"It's about Helena. I think she deserves to have the title of Princess back. I know she's done bad things in the past but she's changed"

"I agree. How about we do a title ceremony tonight? It'll be the first one we've had in over a hundred years"

"Tonight then. Just don't tell her. I want her to be surprised"

~

Gwen headed to the library. She had never witnessed or done a title ceremony before so she needed to do some research on it.

"Whatcha' reading there, Quill?" Rocket's voice nearly made Gwen fall out of her seat.

"A little warning next time would be great" Gwen said.

"I'm sorry. Anyways, what are you reading?

"I need to learn how to perform a title ceremony"

"I see you've decided to give me the recognition I deserve" Rocket had a proud smirk on his face. It quickly faded when he saw the look Gwen was giving him. "I was only kidding"

"Good because it's not for you. It's for Helena. I'm reinstating her as a princess"

"Speaking of Helena, the others and I were discussing something the other day. We all think that Helena should be made an official members of the Guardians of The Galaxy"

"Really?" Gwen asked curiously.

"Yeah. I mean, it's your decision since you are the Captain and all. If I was the Captain, I'd let her in the team"

"I'll think about it. Can you do me a favour?"

"What is it?"

"If you see Thor, can you tell him to go do something with Helena? I want her out of the castle while I prepare the ceremony"

~

Helena was in her room when someone knocked on her door. She opened it, revealing Thor on the other side.

"Can I help you?" she asked.

"I was told to take you out of the castle and do something fun" Thor said

"Like a date? No thank you" She was about to shut the door but Thor stopped her.

"The rabbit said it was Gwen's orders"

"Fine but I'm doing this for her. Not you"

~

Helena decided to take Thor sightseeing. She wasn't really looking forward to spending time with him, but she was doing it for Gwen's sake.

"May I ask you a question?" Thor asked.

"Sure" Helena said.

"You don't seem to like me that much. Why?"

"Gwen and Peter have been together for a very long time. As as soon as he's gone, you swoop in and replace him. They were perfect for each other. I just don't feel like you should get in between that"

"I'm not trying to. I understand Gwen still loves him, and the day they reunite, I'm not going to stop her from running back into his arms. No matter how strong my feelings for her are"

"But still. It's not right! Gwen shouldn't move on"

"Have you ever lost someone you love?"  Helena sighed, her mind wandering to Quentin.

"Yes"

"Don't you think he'd want you to move on?"

"He's not going to be gone forever"

"But you don't know when he's coming back. It could be days, months or even years"

"I....I suppose you're right. I think it's different with Gwen. She's known Peter forever. She doesn't know what it's like to be alone, without someone who loves her like that"

"I don't intend to marry her, but I will keep her happy until the day her husband returns"

"I can accept that. It's getting late. I think we should be heading back"

~

Everyone was gathered in the ballroom. Gwen sat in one of the thrones, dressed in her elegant clothing. Xavier sat in the one next to hers. Helena and Thor were due back any moment now.

"It is really nice of you to do this for your sister" Xavier said

"She's proven herself more than worthy" Gwen said. At that moment, Thor and Helena walked in. Everyone turned towards them and yelled out.

"Surprise Helena!"

"Whoa. Is it my birthday and I forgot or something?" Helena asked.

"Actually, it's a title ceremony. For you" Gwen said.

"Really? For me? But I did so many bad things. I don't deserve to be a Princess anymore"

"Just stop talking and approach" Helena approached the throne. Everyone stood up as she walked by. Gwen stood from her throne and grabbed the sword. "Helena, please kneel on one knee" Helena did so. "Helena of Kosmo. Daughter of Sir Xavier, and Lady Ophelia. Sister of Prince Damien, Queen Gwendalyn and King Peter. Aunt of Princess Meredith. I hereby reinstate your title of the second born Princess of Kosmo" Gwen gently touched Helena on each shoulder with the blade of the sword. "I also clear you of all criminal charges brought upon you. You may stand"

"Thank you, Gwen" Helena said.

"That's not all. Rocket had recently brought something to my attention. How would you like to become an official member of the Guardians of the Galaxy?"

"Wha.... Are you serious?"

"Yes. Besides, I could use a co-captain. At least until Peter comes back"

"Technically she would be your third co-captain. A tri-captain if you will. I'm already the co-captain" Rocket blurted out.

"Gwen, I accept your invitation to be a member of the team. I would also love to be a tri-captain as Rocket put it" Helena said. Gwen smiled and wrapped her arms around her. "By the way, I approve of you and Thor but only temporarily. At least until Peter gets back"

"Thank you. And if you and Quentin ever want to get married someday, when he comes back, I'd be happy to perform the ceremony"

"Let's face it. Damien and Gamora are going to get married before Quentin and I do"