Chapter Eight

~Nikki~

I blink open my eyes and am stunned my by the white walls and bright lights. The crisp white sheets crinkle around me as I shift. I feel the weight of a hand in mine. I turn my head and see a crown of black hair leaning over the side of the bed. I smile groggily and put my head closer to his. Dex saved me.

I frown then. I look at Dex's sleeping form and listen to the slight rumble of his chest. "Do you have to be so amazing?" I ask, tipping my head on the plump pillow. He snores in response. I roll my eyes and glance around the room.

I look around me and see flowers, cards, stuffed bears, and balloons. A large black clock ticks on the opposite side of the wall and a large whiteboard is scribbled on with bright pink marker. I squint at the letters and gasp when I read, 'Happy Birthday, Nikki'.

I was out for a whole day! I glance at the clock. I was out for almost two days! It's almost midnight and everything is incredibly quiet in the hospital.

I pull my hand out of Dex's slowly and rub the reddening skin. Rubbing my aching neck, I feel the necklace around me. I close my eyes.

Where's Will? Wouldn't he be here instead of Dex? Did Will find out about the kiss?! I jerk up and wince with the pain. Dex moves beside me and I glance at him with a pleading expression on my face; please don't be awake.

Sadly, his blue eyes blink up groggily at me. "Hey, Nikki," he grumbles, running his hands through his mussed black hair.

"Happy birthday," I say, trying to scan the cards for one with Will's signature. He had to have visited me!

"Happy birthday, Nikki! I think Will dropped off some flowers," he says; his voice turning bitter towards the end.

"Does he know?" I ask, my hands twirling around themselves. Dex sighs and shakes his head. I exhale and lay back down.

"I guess I should ring the nurse," Dex says dryly. I nod and he presses the button that signals the hospital staff.

A large nurse enters, her crisp white uniform is pressed to perfection and her light brown eyes look me up and down. I go through a series of questions and tests. I have no brain damage, but some amnesia about the accident. I can remember going to the beach and getting a board from Joe, but it fades out after I hit the water. The nurse claims that I will be fine and the amnesia is nothing to be concerned about at this point. I nod and listen as she crams information into my tired brain. Dex is paying more attention then I am.

"Alright, Nikki, I'm going to leave you alone, but your mother wants to see you, so I'm going to let her in," the nurse says, opening the door.

I purse my lips and look towards Dex. His eyes glow with sympathy and he takes my hand again. I lay down and try to pretend that I am home in Wisconsin; Dex holding my hand in the grass the last summer we had together as we watched the sunset.

"Nicole, are you alright?" I hear Mom's hard voice inquire. I nod my head and keep my eyes closed. She sighs and I feel her reach for my other hand.

"Don't touch me," I spit with anger welling inside me. Who does she think she is?! She hasn't been a mom to me in years, and now she decides to act like she loves me?!

Dex tightens his grip on my hand. I sigh and open my eyes. Mom is looking at me with a curious expression on her face. She gestures to Dex and asks, "Who is this?"

"It's Dex, remember?" I say coldly, looking at her dead eyes.

She nods and glances at are intertwined hands."You broke up with Will?" Mom asks as her eyes meet Dex's coldly.