Chapter Two

~Dex~

I'll admit it, I hated moving to California. I had it good back in Wisconsin. I had a girlfriend; Deanna. Although, she did end it as soon as I told her about moving and then proceeded to kiss James Morris in the next hour. Come to think of it, why did I ever go out with her? Oh, yeah, because she was hot, a cheerleader and head of the volleyball team, and because in some sick way I thought that her being a total bitch to everyone was kinda cool. Weird, huh?

I had finally managed to come across the best football team I had ever been on, and was promoted captain. It was pretty crushing when I was told to pack-up my stuff.

I tried to look on the bright side; beaches, sun, surf, and bikinis. However, when I first got out of the plane and blinked into the bright California sun, I couldn't help but think I didn't belong here. I pretty much made the whole airport faint when I walked out in jeans and a sweatshirt. Apparently, being right next to a beach means that if you wear jeans, you have either gone mentally insane, or are moving Canada within the next few minutes, and trying out the style.

When we finally reached our new house, I couldn't breathe. It was right on the beach and was twice the size of my house back in Wisconsin. Overall, this meant that if my mom and dad worked as much here as they did in Wisconsin; I would be throwing my fair share of parties. Plus, a house on the beach meant an unlimited supply of babes in bikinis would be wandering in front of my house.

California started growing on me, and then school had to start. I was anxious to get on the football team, and I knew that it would be next to impossible to get on the team this year, so I was training like a maniac for next year. I was less excited about actually learning, but you have to do what you have to do, I guess. How was I supposed to know that everything would change?

I missed Nikki. I really missed her. I thought about her everyday after she left, and I pictured what I would say to her if I ever got to see her again. I managed to move past her over the years, but I never really forgot her.

I had walked into Washington High School, and smiled to myself as all the girls smiled and twisted their dyed hair around their cheaply manicured fingers. One girl was even so bold to come up to me and slide one skinny hand up my hardened chest, and say, "You new here, babe? I can give a welcome tour if you want!" I just flashed her a smile, which to my amusement, made her shiver, and walked away, shaking my head.

I ran up the steps, and walked into the office. The woman behind the desk smiled pleasantly at me, and asked, "What can I do for you, sugar?"

I smiled at the twang of an accent, and responded,"Hi, I'm Dexter Harrison. I'm just starting here today, and I need my schedule."

She batted her eyelashes at me, and pulled out a file. Sliding it in front of me, she said, "Here you go, Dexter!" I brushed off her flirtatious smile, and grabbed the folder.

"Thanks," I mumbled.

I glanced at the schedule, and saw that I had history first. I rushed to my new locker, and quickly twisted the combination in. I stuffed my new textbooks into the freshly cleaned locker, and slammed it with one quick swipe. I glanced at the map the secretary had given me, and found the history class was only just down the hall.

I walked into the room just in time, as the teacher was introducing me. I resisted the urge to laugh as a collective sigh swept the room. I was about to take my seat, when I heard a weird coughing sound. I glanced up at the strange sound, and saw her.

"Nikki?" I gape, swiping my hair out of my eyes.

God, she was so beautiful. She was staring at me curiously, surprise registering on her face. Her emerald eyes were round and covered by a thick lining of deep black eyelashes, her angular features were tanned, and her full lips looked so soft I just wanted to sweep her up in kiss. Her blond hair was longer, falling to her waist, and her blond bangs were just long enough to make it adorable when she tried to blow it out of her eyes.