Chapter Seven

~Dex~

I lean my head on the cool glass of the window. The beach is spread out before me, the sun, sand, and surf are all at my fingertips, but I can't bring myself to enjoy them. I can only think about Nikki's face as she told me, "I don't want him to know."

I wanted Nikki to just accept me, but I knew that she loved Will too. If Nikki wanted Will then I would let her have him. If it made Nikki happy I would do anything. I watch the couples stroll by on the beach, and feel a pang of jealously.

Mom and Dad won't be home until incredibly late tonight, and I don't know what to do with my time. Maybe I should just go to the beach. There's a good chance I can find a girl on that beach. Of course, I will always compare them Nikki. I sigh and walk into my room. It is huge, with pristine white walls and stainless fixtures. It is so professional, like it was for show and not for living.

Tossing open the closet doors, I grab a pair of dark blue swim-trunks. I change and grab my expensive sunglasses from the distressed wooden dresser. Padding across the hardwood to the door, I practice a convincing smile.

I will not think about Nikki! I am in California for God's sake and I was going to have fun! With that in my mind, I stride outside.

A stunning brunette strides up to me almost immediately, her tanned body swaying in a skimpy bikini. I drink in the sight of her in the light pink bikini and tinted shades. She approaches slowly, just enough time for me to absorb her completely. I realize that she looks familiar, but I don't know where I would've seen her.

"Hi," she says, in breathy voice.

"Hey," I respond cocking my brow. Where do I know this girl?

"I'm Jennifer," she says, and flips up her shades. I burst out laughing when I see Jen, batting her eyes and putting her hand on her hip, striking a model pose.

"Nice, Dex! You were so checking me out!" Jen roars, her face scrunching with laughter.

"In my defense, you do look amazing in that bathing suit!" I suggest, my eyes scanning her again.

"Stop, I feel violated!" Jen screeches, her arms covering her body. I laugh and she brushes her hair out to cover her shoulders and chest.

"Why'd you come over here if you feel "violated" when I look at you?!" I say jokingly.

"Allison bet me ten dollars that I could get your number without you realizing it was me," Jen says through her smile. She turns over her shoulder, and screams,"That's ten, Al! Don't skip-out on me now!"

I see Allison curse to herself and stand up. She is wearing a ruffled black bikini with gold bands around the waist and a pair of large shades. She grabs a crumpled ten from her sparkly black wallet and throws the ten in the sand. Allison sits back down on her towel and screams, "There!"

Jen and I laugh until we are clutching are stomachs and our faces hurt.

"She is a handful!" Jen sighs, rubbing her sore cheeks.

"I can tell," I chuckle, running a hand through my hair.

"Do you want to join us?" Jen asks, pointing a petite hand toward Allison and Shawn. I nod and we stride over to towels; where Allison and Shawn are tanning.

"Couldn't give Jenny here a chance?" Allison smirks, running a hand through her dark curls.

"She's not really my type," I shrug jokingly, making Jen smile.

"That's right you like them blond and unavailable," Allison drawls, her pink lips tilting up in the corners.

I see Jen snatch the ten up from the sand and slip it into a dark blue canvas beach bag. She smirks at me before settling down on her zebra-striped towel. I feel a twinge of hatred towards Allison for the remark, but I couldn't really object because I do like Nikki.