Chapter One

I wake up to the blaring of my alarm clock. I snap open my sleep-filled eyes and send my bubblegum pink alarm clock an extremely annoyed glare as if it could actually see me. In my world, if something was annoying it didn't matter if it was inanimate or not. Glancing around the room, everything appears the same; pale pink walls with sketches of Hawaiian flowers painted on, chestnut dresser scattered with makeup and spare change, dark wooden floors, and a bedside table littered with books and pictures.

My eyes fall on one particular picture of Dex, beaming up at the camera with his arm around me at my sixth birthday party. I am automatically covered with guilt when my eyes glance just to the right and see the picture of my boyfriend, William. William is admittedly handsome; a sandy flop of hair covers his chocolate eyes, and his angular, yet masculine features aren't something you find everyday. I mentally curse myself, and promise to only think about William's handsome face the rest of the day.

No matter how hard I tried, even half a country and a three-year separation could keep me from thinking about Dex. I was dreaming about meeting the owner of my first kiss way to often, and I could only assume that it was because his birthday was tomorrow; the same day as mine.

I sigh and force all thoughts out of my head except one; get ready for school. I place my narrow feet on the floor and begin the journey to the bathroom. Stripping out of my flannel pajamas, I crank up the heat of the shower to the maximum, and step inside. Letting the scalding water rise my thoughts away, I run shampoo and an extra load of conditioner through my hair, and rinse off. I hated the feel of salty sea water in my hair, and since yesterday was my amateur surfing competition, my hair was loaded with it.

I had been surfing since I first moved to California when I was thirteen, and even though I first cringed at the thought of becoming one of those tall, blond, Californian, surfing girls; it was too fun to quit.William hates me surfing. He expects me to either get eaten by a shark or drown, and even though I try to convince him that it's highly unlikely, he still has a mini heart attack every time I fall off my board. I think it's adorable.

He plays football, though, and that's way more dangerous in my opinion, so I just put up with his rants and try not to discourage him about football. He's the quarterback, after all. Dex played football. Crap, I did it again.

It is then that I end my shower and dry off. I blow dry my waist-length blond hair, and bring a straighter to it, straightening to as close to perfection as it can be. I want to keep my makeup minimal, us usual, and apply a light layer of of mascara, concealer, and a light dusting of pink blush.

Pleased with my improved appearance, I walk over to my closet. My overall bedroom is on the smaller side, but my closet is basically the holy grail of all closets. I'm nearly certain that the person who used to have my room was a self-obsessed rich lady with a clothing addiction. My closet has high ceilings, a chandelier hanging down, five separate racks just for shoes, and a ten foot stretch of clothing racks.

Of course, I barely take up a quarter of the space, but I do the love the impressed looks I get when I show my friends the closet. Plus, it's great for hiding in. I walk into the room, and rake my eyes across various pieces of clothing. I settle on a flowing, ruffled blouse and skinny jeans, and pair them with my favorite pink Converse.

Suddenly, I hear the buzz of my crappy flip phone, and rush over to it. Please, be Dex. I shake my head. Please, be William. William's name blinks up at me, but I find myself disappointed. Nikki, pull yourself together, you have not seen Dex in years, get over it!

I flip open my phone, and read; I'm outside ur house w/ coffee and bagel, ur welcome. I luv u.

I laugh lightly, and text back; I'm coming.