Chapter Five

~Dex~

I listen as Will tells me about the time he and Tom skipped school when they were in junior high. Apparently, McDonald's will call the police if you show up at twelve in the afternoon on a school day with no parent.

"We were so stupid!" Will laughs. I laugh, deep and long. It was a little funny. I'm surprised McDonald's actually gave them their order after calling the police!

The assembly is coming to a close. Awards have been given and speeches have made, we only have the dance left. The dance team is getting ready, so the students talk loudly. It's obvious that most of the guys can't wait to watch the girls dance in their tight costumes.

A girl with dyed platinum blond hair turns around and evaluates me, and makes up her mind quickly. She flashes me a stunning smile, and bats her fake eyelashes. I smirk, and decide to have some fun.

"Hey," I say, stretching my muscled arms over my head, which obviously pleases her immensely.

"Hi, you new here, or what," the girl asks flipping her curled hair over her shoulders. She chomps her gum loudly, blowing a small bubble.

"Yeah, think you could show me around sometime?" I ask, trying to sound helpless and desperate.

The girl smiles brightly, her practically orange face splitting through the coating of makeup. "Whatever, whenever, name's Heidi," she shrugs, trying to sound casual about my interest.

"Dex," I say, faking happiness over her acceptance. Heidi flashes me another splitting smile, and turns to face her red-headed friend. I hear the red-head whisper something along the lines of 'you so got him' and try not to laugh. Heidi will never be giving me a tour.

Suddenly, a voice breaks through the once silent speakers and announces the dance teams performance. I adjust myself in my seat, and pray that Nikki does not have spanks on, because I might just lose it.

A cheerful song starts pumping out of the hidden speakers. I see Jen and Shawn in the corner, wearing a pink dress, that flows out in the back, and ballet shoes with pink ribbons wrapped up their tan legs. Jen twirls out first, doing a series of turns, and lifting her leg in a kind of half-split. Shawn leaps out next, doing the same thing as Jen. They spend a few seconds hopping from foot to foot and doing leaps before I see Nikki in the corner of my eye. She is dressed in nearly the same outfit except it is in black. Nikki leaps out doing a split in the air, an arrogant and evil expression on her face. She lands, and walks on pointed feet to Jen and Shawn, still happily dancing. She flips around them, and lands in an edgy pose just as Allison and the rest of the dance team leap out like Nikki.

They form a circle around Shawn and Jen, still dancing playfully, but with less energy. The next thing I know, they all are spinning around Jen and Shawn, doing flips and turns. Shawn and Jen slow down their cheerful dance in the middle of the circle and let mock fear show on their faces. Nikki and Allison grab Shawn and Jen and lift them above their heads. Shawn and Jen stand up in the same second, and launch themselves into the air, twirling a few times before dropping back into Nikki and Allison's arms. Shawn and Jen then do a backwards flip into the middle of the circle again, and with a final flourish, the dance team collapse into spilt around them, their heads pressed up against the floor, that is, except for Nikki. She walks on pointed feet over to a now terrified Shawn and Jen, and strikes her hands up, sucking in her stomach to expose her lungs, her head lifted into the air. Jen and Shawn stare up at the figure, and twirl their way off the stage along with the final strains of a haunted song. Nikki holds her position as everyone exits the stage, and the captivated audience all holds eyes on her. She looks down at just the right instant, and smirks, before turning and flipping into the backstage area.