Finding Him

Goodbye, Dex! I'm never going to see you again!" I yelled, staring at the slowly receding figure of Dexter Harrison. It was the last day of school and I felt so free, yet incredibly sad because moving to California meant more than losing friends; it meant losing the guy I loved. I was not only outraged that my mom forced me to move to a new junior high in my last year; I was livid. I could not stand the thought of never seeing Dex again, but of course, I had to make a joke of it.

He turned around, and pushed at his crown of black hair back as he struggled to see me through the thick wall of hair that covered his head. He smiled slightly at me, and with a look of genuine sadness, walked towards me. I felt a warm feeling grow inside me, and fought to control my emotions because obviously, blubbering on someone's shirt is definitely not attractive. I smiled as he made his way towards me, before turning to slip my books in my tote. When I could feel his presence near me, I grabbed my bag, slammed my locker with finality, and turned to him.

I could barely contain the gasp when I was met by the familiar pair of smoldering, blue eyes that were in very close proximity to me. "I'm sure we're going to see each other again, Nikki. I would miss you too much if we didn't." Dex whispered into my ear, so close that it took all my control not to shiver. I fought so hard to contain my pleasure that I nearly exploded.

"Oh, so you are going to miss me?" I whisper, pushing back a stray blond hair.

"Of course I'm going to miss you, Nikki! You're my buddy," he says in a childish tone. I laugh lightly, and throw my arm around him.

"Let's go, buddy," I laugh. We reach the top of the stairway and begin our fast descent down the steep, rubber- coated steps. As we reach the bottom, the teachers show themselves and make a half-hearted attempt to sound truly upset about their students leaving. I prepare myself for the fake pleasantries, and step out into the exit. However, as soon as I do so a callused hand grabs my arm. I look up in surprise at Dex, who seems anxious for no apparent reason.

"What's up?" I murmur, confused as to why he's holding my arm, yet completely distracted by the tingles that form on my tanned skin.

"I have something to show you," he whispers secretively.

"Dex, I'm going to miss my bus!" I whisper, trying to sound normal despite my racing heart.

"Come on, Nikki! It won't take long, I promise!" He sticks out his lip with the cutest puppy dog face in the entire world, and I am forced to comply. I nod my head, and in nearly the same instant he pulls me back into the stairwell. I nearly trip and fall into him, but he still pulls me further into the empty platform. When he seems satisfied with the distance between us and the teacher-infested hallway, he stops and drops my arm.

I look up into his electric eyes, and he looks back into my deep green ones. I'm utterly confused at his behavior, but I'm so overjoyed at the smoldering look he's giving me that I can't bring myself to care.

"I'm going to miss you, Dex! I will miss you so much! I can't..." I begin, but he silences me with a kiss. Unable to understand what's happening, my body stiffens slightly. Then, when the shock is over, I can feel his somewhat chapped lips and taste the mint on his breath- due to his religious consumption of Trident gum. An excitement explodes up from inside of me. This, right here, is the best moment of my life.

Dex grabs my waist and pulls me closer to his body, and my hand automatically flies up to intertwine with his hair. I want to freeze this moment, just pause it and stay like this forever. However, fate is not kind to me and he slowly pulls away.

"I'm really going to miss you, Nikki," he whispers.