Fifty Six

Michelle rushed into the room. She immediately went up to the bed and kissed Jon . "God, Jon , I am so glad to see you awake. How are you feeling?" Shelly said as she looked at his pale face. His eyes looked almost drained of color, empty.

"Ok." Jon said quietly.

Michelle knew that Jon was lying, but she didn't bother to correct him. She could see the pain in his eyes.

"Aww, I wish I could help you feel better, Bri." Shelly tried to be sympathetic. She watched a lab technician enter the room with her cart.

"Hi, my name is Melissa and I need to draw some more lab work from you, can I see your ID bracelet?" The girl was young, and very nervous. Shelly and Donnie looked at one another for a moment. They both knew that the girl knew of Jon 's celebrity and was intimidated by it.

Jon held his left arm out for her to read the name tag and verify the numbers on the chart and vials. Once she was finished, she placed a rubber strap around Jon 's upper arm.

Donnie and Michelle decided to make small talk with Jon so that the tech wouldn't feel uncomfortable with them in the room.

"So, um, Jon , I found one of those books you were looking for the other day." Donnie stumbled with the words.

"Did you get it?" Jon asked without any enthusiasm in his voice.

They all were watching the girl wash the site where the blood was going to be drawn from.

"Yeah, I picked up a copy for me too, it looked pretty interesting, so I thought, what the hell." Donnie replied. Just as he finished, the girl stuck Jon with the needle. Jon took a quick breath in and winced.

"Oh, my god, I am so sorry, did I hurt you?" Melissa asked, almost too loudly from being nervous.

"It's okay." Jon said nervously.

The girl was starting to grow more nervous as she saw that no blood was flowing into the tube like it should have. She undid the rubber strap and there was still no blood flowing out.

"Jon , they drained you dry, dude." Donnie observed.

Jon rolled his eyes at Donnie . He was too tired to make a response.

"I'm sorry, I think your vein rolled. I have to try again, I'm really sorry." The girl apologized as she wrapped the band around Jon 's arm again.

Just as she was starting to insert the needle into Jon 's arm, an alarm sounded off from across the hall from Jordan 's room.

"Code Blue, ICU nine, code blue ICU nine."

Michelle and Donnie jumped up and ran across the hall leaving Jon lay and worry about what was happening.

Michelle and Donnie stopped short in the doorway. Danny was standing off to the corner in Jordan 's room, his eyes brimming with tears. A resident doctor was straddled across Jordan 's body doing CPR. Donnie and Shelly were pushed out into the hall by the doctors and nurses that were running in and out of Jordan 's room. A crash cart was pulled to the side of Jordan 's bed and the paddles were charged up. The resident jumped off the bed and a doctor yelled clear and then applied the paddles to Jordan 's chest. Jordan 's body arched up in response to the shock and all eyes in the room focused on the the monitor that had been showing a flat line. Jordan 's heart responded with unnatural wavy lines. The doctor took the paddles to Jordan 's chest again. This time the rhythm went back into the proper position.

Once Jordan 's heart was back into fibrillation, the team of doctors and nurses walked out of the room leaving only Jordan 's nurse checking his IV lines and monitors.