54. Keith

I woke to Acxa snoring lightly on the couch and no one else in the dark room. They must've all gone home by now...I lift myself slowly and swing my legs over the side of the bed. When my bare feet feel the cold ground I inhale sharply, but I stand up anyway. As I straighten my back I have to bite my lip to resist crying out in pain. The burn bringing tears to my eyes as I swallow hard to push the pain down.

I walk over to the window on the other side of the room. I pull back the curtains t reveal the dark of night. The parking lot lights up a bit but the sky is a dark blue with stars that shine brightly. The night sky reminds me of the night I fell asleep under the stars in Lance's arms and I feel an urge to be with him again. Especially after what happened. So I tip toe to the door and open it slowly. I peer out and see nurses gathered down to the left. To the right I see an exit only a couple doors down. I smirk a little and slip out the door. With one last glance towards the distracted nurses I run lightly on my feet to the exit. I open the door and to my glee there's stairs going up.

I start fast and I hop up every step like I have nothing to lose but soon when I land too hard on one foot it send a pain that triggers my back to sting once again. I gasp out a bit but otherwise I just keep on going. Slowly this time of course. Once I'm at the top I can see through the door window the open roof. I open the door with a smirk, I can be out of that wretched room and in the open air. I twist the knob and I'm happy to see it's unlocked. I open the door and take one wide step forward before catching my breath.

There in front of me stands Lance, in the same hospital gown I'm wearing, with bandages covering his arms. His dark blue eyes are wide in surprise of seeing me here. His lips are parted in surprise like he's trying to say something but lost his voice. The light wind causes his hair to ruffle and the moonlight makes his tan skin glow. I can see every freckle shine like the constellations in the midnight sky above us. His bandaged hand reaches out to me then he chokes on something nonexistent and his hand falls to his side. Lance starts sobbing.

Not quiet tears, he's wailing.

"Lance!" I exclaim and lower myself down to the floor Lance kneels on, now shaking with tears. "Lance..." I say quietly, hoping to calm him down. I reach out and place my hand on his shoulder. "Hey...look at me please." I say soothingly. Lance looks up slightly so his puffy eyes meet mine and I feel my heart skip in that moment. When he cries, Lance looks so innocent. I have this urge to hold him to my chest and protect him. "You know I jumped in that fire because I wanted to save you right? It's not your fault I did that. Okay? Don't blame yourself." I lift my hand from his shoulder to his warm cheek. I cup it and gently make him lift his head up completely. "Look; I want you to know I'm here for you. Forever and always. I'll be by your side." Lance lifts a bandaged hand to mine and he lays it softly on my hand.

It honestly feels weird, the bandages feel weird, but I'm just happy I can see him. He's not dead. He's right here with me under the stars. "Keith?" His voice wavers and I nod, "Can I see your burns?" I inhale sharply. I haven't even seen my burns. "I'll let you see mine. Look." Lance starts to unravel the bandage on his right arm but I lightly grab his hand. "No. You don't have to show me anything. I'll show you my burn." Lance nods and watches with a confused expression as I start to pull the hospital gown down from my shoulders. I turn away from Lance, half to show him the burn and half so I don't have to see his expression. But his gaze is hot on my back and I can feel him analyzing every part of my body.

After a terrifying silence I feel Lance's forehead on my bare upper back. When his lips part to say something I can feel everything. There's a tingle when he breathes in a warm feeling on my nape when he breathes out. Lance finally speaks up in a low voice, "I'm so sorry. This hurts you more than it would've ever hurt me." I turn around sharply and pull Lance into my chest. His lips and well the rest of his face brush against my bare chest and I inhale sharply and blush hard. "Don't say that. I'd jump into a million fires to save you Lance." Lance chuckles but it's humorless. "I'm serious Lance. Did you hear what I said when I held you?" Lance nods against my chest. "I said I love you. I do. I want you to keep on living. Beside me. With me." Lance pulls back and meets my eyes. He's taller than me by only a couple inches but now he feels so small. "I would love that." Then he grabs the collar of my gown and brings me to him. His lips find mine and I smile at the familiar feeling of Lance's lips. The taste of chocolate chip cookies bring my downfall.

"I love you Keith. Can we try being something more than friends who kiss?" Lance asks into my lips and I respond into his, "Yes please." Then Lance broke the kiss. and stepped back, "That was our first kiss!" I quirk a dark eyebrow, "No it wasn't?" Lance rolls his blue eyes, "It is now dummy. That's the only kiss that matters. That kiss symbolizes us finally being serious about each other." I smile softly at Lance. He's stubborn but he's the love of my life. "Yeah. I liked our first kiss." Lance smirks and comes in close again, "What about a second?" I answer by pulling him in to me once more.