14. Keith

I want to open up to him. We've kissed but we really don't know each other, I can tell he hides things from me. I still haven't even told him about my family.

I pick up my phone from my nightstand. I'm still lying in bed with my covers pulled over my bare chest. I text Lance.

KeithKogane: Do you want to come over today? You can meet my parents.

As I wait for his reply I get up and get dressed. I slide on a gray hoodie and blue jeans, I don't even bother putting on shoes. But- to keep my feet warm I put on fuzzy black socks.

I walk downstairs and into the dining room to see my dad, stepmom and Shiro sitting at the table. As I slide into my chair I see that today for breakfast we are having pancakes. I grin to myself and dig in.

"No good morning Keith? I feel you've completely forgotten your manners." I hear my stepmoms whiny voice try to start a conversation with me.

"Oh I haven't forgotten, I just don't have to put effort into hating you." I smile sweetly to my stepmother and she glares at me, "Keith, I know you still hate me for your mother leaving but I have raised you along side your sister and brother. I treat you all as equals I wish you'd appreciate that." I roll my eyes.

"Yeah sure Mom." I spit out the last word and keep eating my pancakes. I notice my stepmother furiously budging my father to do something. He rolls his eyes too and grunts at me half-heartedly, "Respect your mother." "Ha! If you could call her that!" I spit back at him. He just shrugs and continues reading the newspaper he's been so interested in this morning.

Shiro decided this is the time to intervene, "Keith. I understand you have bottled up emotions but taking it out on our mother is not the way-" I interrupt him, "She's not my mother. You can live in this fairytale world where you are the perfect son and dad is the perfect dad and that whore-" I hear a gasp from the whore, "is the perfect mother. Go ahead and believe it but I know the truth. So does Acxa. Mom should've taken us while she had the chance." I spit every word hoping to hurt each of them. I stand up from my chair and point at each of them. I hate them.

"Enough!" My dad stands up and his chair falls over behind him from the sudden movement. "Keith! I won't allow you to treat your mother and brother this way! I've let it slide multiple times, just excusing your attitude for hormones but now I see your true colors. You want to see your 'real' mother so bad? Then fine, you're  moving in with your mother. Acxa too!"

"What? This is crazy!" Acxa stands behind me, when did she come in? At first I think she's angry but she has the biggest grin on her face, "Keith! We get to see our mom!" I stare at my father. Doesn't he know this isn't a punishment? Or is it.... My step mother is dumbfounded. Her mouth is wide open, she must've not been told that my father still kept tabs on his ex wife. I want to laugh but I stay silent. Shiro continues to eat his pancakes.

"Where does mom even live?" I ask, still confused as to why we haven't seen her since we were children. "She lives in a dumpy apartment in New York. One of the many reasons I haven't let you two see her." My father explains to both Acxa and I.

"Well what are you waiting for? Go pack your bags! Steven will drive you to the airport in an hour." My father sits down and cuts a piece of pancake, "Pack heavy. You'll be there for a while." He chomps down on the pancake and I am filled with dread.

I stomp up the stairs to my bedroom to find my suitcase. Acxa is in my room giggling. "I'm so happy! We get to see Mom! I hardly even remember her! Keith this is a dream come true!" I nod absently as I pull my suitcase out from under my bed.

"Keith. What's wrong?" Acxa places a hand on my shoulder, "I just- I have some friends here. Some friends that I really like." Acxa nods as I fret to her about losing my friends. She lets go of me and on her way out of my room she says, "Don't worry, everything will turn out fine. You can still text your friends." I nod glumly to myself after she's left the room. Before I pack I pick up my phone.